Local Ferries in Suffolk
A ferry for foot passengers and bicycles across the River Deben between Felixstowe Ferry and Bawdsey, and provides continuity for the Suffolk Coast Path and Regional Cycle Route 41. The ferry operates from Easter weekend until the end of October on a varying timetable, and can also be used as a water taxi to moored yachts.
Prior to 1894 the small passenger boats ran ferry trips. In 1894 Sir William Quilter, owner of Bawdsey Manor, established a steam-drawn chain ferry which the family owned until 1931. From 1931 until the start of WW2 Charlie Brinckley then operated a launch for passengers with his son Robert (senior). Bawdsey Manor was purchased by the RAF in 1936 to become RAF Bawdsey and the ferry was closed to the public during WW2. After the end of the war a daily service was operated until 1974 under contract to RAF Bawdsey and since 1974 it has operated on summer weekends only. The Bawdsey Ferry is mentioned in three Acts of Parliament, the 'Felixstowe & Bawdsey Ferry Railway Act 1887', the 'Felixstowe and Bawdsey Ferry Railway (Extension of Time) Act 1890' and the 'Felixstowe and Bawdsey Ferry Rly.(Abandonment) Act 1892'
A small ferry operates across the River Butley for foot passengers and for cyclists (no tandems) using Regional Cycle Route 41. It is operated by volunteers on Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays from 11am to 4pm within the season, which is Easter Saturday to 30 September. Telephone: 07913 672499 but no bookings. Ferry does not operate when wind is Force 5 or above. Sponsored by the Alde & Ore Association. More information is available from the notice on the pier. The ferry claims to be the smallest licensed ferry in Europe.
Harwich Harbour Ferry
Southwold to Walberswick Ferry
Until 1885 a rowing ferry was used when a floating bridge chain ferry was started, initially hand-cranked ferry later being replaced by a steam ferry which ran until 1942 after improvements to the harbour made operation of the ferry too difficult. Frank Palmer then restarted the old rowing ferry and was succeeded by Bob Cross and David Church.
- Harwich Harbour Ferry
- National Cycle Route 51
- North Sea Cycle Route
- Regional Cycle Route 41
- Suffolk Coast Path
- "Felixstowe Travel Watch - Foot and Cycle Ferries". Retrieved 2011-01-23.
- "Felixstowe Ferry-Bawdsey - River Deben". Retrieved 2007-12-27.
- "Felixstowe-Bawdsey Ferry". Retrieved 2007-12-27.
- "A walk around Bawdsey". Retrieved 2007-12-27.
- "Rights of Way Sub-Committee - 26 May 2004". Retrieved 2007-12-27.
- "Acts of the Parliaments of the United Kingdom - Part 95 (1890a)". Retrieved 2007-12-27.
- "Acts of the Parliaments of the United Kingdom - Part 92 (1887)". Retrieved 2007-12-27.
- "Orford - Ferries, Excursion Boats, Quays". Retrieved 2007-12-27.
- "Rural rides - The Suffolk Coastal Cycle Route". Archived from the original on 19 October 2007. Retrieved 2007-12-27.
- "Southwold - Walberswick Ferry". Retrieved 2007-12-27.
Harwich Harbour Ferry
- Official site for Harwich Harbour Ferry
- Google Map
- Harwich, Felixstowe and Shotley Foot Ferry Society