Local government areas of Nigeria
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
||This article needs attention from an expert on the subject. The specific problem is: LGA and its relationship to cities, states, and wards, and the function of wards. (November 2015)|
Nigeria has 774 local government areas (LGAs).
Each local government area is administered by a Local Government Council consisting of a chairman who is the Chief Executive of the LGA, and other elected members who are referred to as Councillors.
The functions of Local Governments are detailed in the Nigerian Constitution and include:
- Economic recommendations to the State;
- Collection of taxes and fees;
- Establishment and maintenance of cemeteries, burial grounds and homes for the destitute or infirm;
- Licensing of bicycles, trucks (other than mechanically propelled trucks), canoes, wheel barrows and carts;
- Establishment, maintenance and regulation of markets, motor parks and public conveniences;
- Construction and maintenance of roads, streets, drains and other public highways, parks, and open spaces;
- Naming of roads and streets and numbering of houses;
- Provision and maintenance of public transportation and refuse disposal;
- Registration of births, deaths and marriages;
- Assessment of privately owned houses or tenements for the purpose of levying such rates as may be prescribed by the House of Assembly of a State; and,
- Control and regulation of out-door advertising, movement and keeping of pets of all descriptions, shops and kiosks, restaurants and other places for sale of food to the public, and laundries.
Each of the areas is further subdivided into wards with a minimum of ten and a maximum of fifteen for each area.
List of LGAs
- "List of Local Government Areas in Cross River State". Archived from the original on 22 April 2015.
- Nigeria Congress
- On Line Nigeria
- Sustainable Urban Development and Good Governance in Nigeria
- Thomas Brinkhoff: NIGERIA: Administrative Division (interactive map), in www.citypopulation.de