Local government areas of Nigeria
|This article is part of a series on the|
politics and government of
This article needs attention from an expert in Nigeria. The specific problem is: LGA and its relationship to cities, states, and wards, and the function of wards.November 2015)(
Nigeria has 774 local government areas (L.G.As). Each local government area is administered by a Local Government Council consisting of a chairman who is the Chief Executive of the LGA, and other elected members who are referred to as Councillors. Each of the areas is further subdivided into wards with a minimum of ten and a maximum of fifteen for each area.
The functions of Local Governments are detailed in the Nigerian Constitution and include:
- Economic recommendations to the State;
- Collection of taxes and fees;
- Establishment and maintenance of cemeteries, burial grounds and homes for the destitute or infirm;
- Licensing of bicycles, trucks (other than mechanically propelled trucks), canoes, wheel barrows and carts;
- Establishment, maintenance and regulation of markets, motor parks and public conveniences;
- Construction and maintenance of roads, streets, drains and other public highways, parks, and open spaces;
- Naming of roads and streets and numbering of houses;
- Provision and maintenance of public transportation and refuse disposal;
- Registration of births, deaths and marriages;
- Assessment of privately owned houses or tenements for the purpose of levying such rates as may be prescribed by the House of Assembly of a State; and,
- Control and regulation of out-door advertising, movement and keeping of pets of all descriptions, shops and kiosks, restaurants and other places for sale of food to the public, and laundries.
List of LGAs
- "List of Local Government Areas in Cross River State". Archived from the original on 23 April 2015.
- Nigeria Congress
- On Line Nigeria
- Sustainable Urban Development and Good Governance in Nigeria
- Thomas Brinkhoff: NIGERIA: Administrative Division (interactive map), in www.citypopulation.de