Local positioning system
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
A local positioning system (LPS) is a navigation system that provides location information in all weather, anywhere within the coverage of the network, where there is an unobstructed line of sight to three or more signaling beacons of which the exact position on earth is known. A special type of LPS is the real-time locating system; which also allows real-time tracking of an object or person in a confined area such as a building.
Unlike GPS or other global navigation satellite systems, local positioning systems don't provide global coverage. Instead, they use (a set of) beacons which have a limited range, hence requiring the user to be near these. Beacons include cellular base stations, Wi-Fi and LiFi access points, and radio broadcast towers.
Nowadays, local positioning systems are often used as complementary (and in some cases alternative) positioning technology to GPS, especially in areas where GPS does not reach or is weak, for example, inside buildings, or urban canyons. Local positioning using cellular and broadcast towers can be used on cell phones that do not have a GPS receiver. Even if the phone has a GPS receiver, battery life will be extended if cell tower location accuracy is sufficient.
An LPS can use any of the following to calculate the position of an object:
- Hybrid positioning system
- Indoor positioning system
- Locata Corporation
- Mobile phone tracking
- Real-time locating system
- Hjelm, Johan; Kolodziej, Krzysztof W. (2006). Local positioning systems LBS applications and services ([Online-Ausg.] ed.). Boca Raton, FL: CRC/Taylor & Francis. ISBN 978-0849333491.
- Kyker, R (7–9 Nov 1995). "Local positioning system". WESCON/'95. Conference Record. 'Microelectronics Communications Technology Producing Quality Products Mobile and Portable Power Emerging Technologies': 756. doi:10.1109/WESCON.1995.485496. ISBN 978-0-7803-2636-1.
- [https://www.google.com/patents/US20040056798 US20040056798 US Patent US20040056798 – Local positioning system – Gallitzin Allegheny]
- [https://www.google.com/patents/US6748224 US6748224 US Patent 6748224 – Local positioning system – Lucent]
|This technology-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|