Local television in the United Kingdom
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Local television in the United Kingdom, described in legislation as Local Digital Television Programme Services (L-DTPS), provides a television station for a specific local area. Successful applicants are awarded a sole licence for their chosen area, and are expected to locate their studios within the same area. They broadcast on the digital terrestrial (DTT) system, as used by the national Freeview service.
The multiplexes that the stations operate on are operated by Comux, owned by the local TV broadcasters with operations run by Canis Media.
Most of the stations broadcast on DTT channel 8 in England and Northern Ireland and - following the closure of BBC Three, vacating the channel - will move to channel 7 on 5th April 2016, with the exception of London and Liverpool which will remain on channel 8. In Scotland and Wales the stations were originally given channel 45; however, following a number of channel closures, channel 23 was used. These services will move to channel 8 on 5th April 2016.
Some stations are also available (in their local areas) via cable (Virgin Media) channel 157 and satellite (Sky) channel 117.
In May 2012, twenty one areas were selected to invite bids for providing a local TV service.
|Primary location||Transmitter||Winning operator||Launch date||Other bids|
|Belfast||Divis||NVTV||29 September 2014||Made in Belfast|
|Birmingham||Sutton Coldfield||Big Centre TV||28 February 2015||Bham TV, Made in Birmingham, YourTV Birmingham|
|Brighton and Hove||Whitehawk Hill||Latest TV||28 August 2014||none|
|Bristol||Mendip||Made in Bristol||8 October 2014||none|
|Cardiff||Wenvoe||Made in Cardiff||15 October 2014||Cardiff Local TV|
|Edinburgh||Craigkelly||STV Edinburgh||12 January 2015||Edinburgh News Network, Made in Edinburgh, Metro8 Edinburgh|
|Glasgow||Black Hill||STV Glasgow||2 June 2014||Glasgow TV, Made in Glasgow, Metro8 Glasgow|
|Grimsby||Belmont||Estuary TV||26 November 2013||none|
|Leeds||Emley Moor||Made in Leeds||6 November 2014||Leeds TV, Metro8 Leeds, NORTH, YourTV Leeds|
|Bay TV Liverpool||4 December 2014||Made in Liverpool, Metro8 Liverpool, Our-TV, YourTV Liverpool|
|London Live||31 March 2014||London8, LondonTV, Made in London, YourTV London|
|Manchester||Winter Hill||That's Manchester||31 May 2015||Made in Manchester, Manchester News Channel, MCR TV, Metro8 Manchester, YourTV Manchester|
|Norwich||Tacolneston||Mustard TV||24 March 2014||NR ONE|
|Notts TV||27 May 2014||Television Nottingham|
|Newcastle/Sunderland||Pontop Pike||Made in Tyne & Wear||12 November 2014||Metro8 Newcastle, NEON-TV, YourTV Newcastle|
|Oxford||Oxford||That's Oxfordshire||17 April 2015||Oxford 8, Oxford 8|
|Plymouth||Caradon Hill||not awarded||N/A||none|
|Preston/Blackpool||Winter Hill||That's Lancashire ||24 August 2015||Metro8 Preston, YourTV Blackpool & Preston|
|Sheffield||Sheffield||Sheffield Live TV||23 September 2014||Metro8 Sheffield, YourTV Sheffield|
|Southampton/Portsmouth||Rowridge||That's Solent||26 November 2014||TV Solent|
|Swansea||Kilvey Hill||not awarded||N/A||none|
In August 2012 fifty seven applications were received to provide these services. Bristol, Brighton and Hove, and Grimsby attracted only one bid each. Plymouth and Swansea received no bids from potential broadcasters.
† The owners of Birmingham licence City8 went into administration before the channel launched. The licence was re-awarded to another operator, Big Centre TV.
In March 2013, Ofcom announced another thirty areas selected to invite bids for local television services, in addition to re-advertising the previously un-awarded Swansea and Plymouth locations.
|Primary location||Transmitter||Winning operator||Launch date||Other bids|
|Aberdeen||Durris||Around Aberdeen (STV Group plc)|
|Ayr||Darvel||Ayrshire Today (STV Group plc)|
|Bangor||Llanddona||not awarded||Bay TV Gwynedd|
|Cambridge||Madingley||Cambridge TV||18 August 2015||none|
|Dundee||Angus||View from the Bridges (STV Group plc)|
|Lincolnshire||Belmont||That's Lincolnshire||7 June 2016|
|Luton||Sandy Heath||not awarded|
|Maidstone/Tonbridge||Bluebell Hill||KMTV †||TVKent|
|Middlesbrough||Bilsdale||Made in Teesside||TeesVision|
|Mold||Moel-y-Parc||Bay TV Clwyd||Serch TV Mold|
|Plymouth||Caradon Hill||not awarded|
|Scarborough||Oliver's Mount||Yorkshire Coast TV|
|Stoke-on-Trent||not awarded||Bay TV Stoke|
|Stratford-upon-Avon||Lark Stoke||Upon 8|
|Swansea||Kilvey Hill||Bay TV Swansea||Love Swansea|
|Tonbridge||Bluebell Hill||see Maidstone|
|York||Bilsdale||The York Channel||none|
† Maidstone and Tonbridge were initially advertised separately.
- "Licensing Local Television". Ofcom. Retrieved 4 February 2016.
- "Ofcom awards local TV ‘multiplex’ licence". Ofcom. 28 January 2013. Retrieved 20 February 2013.
- Deans, Jason (10 May 2012). "Ofcom invites bids to run local TV services in 21 towns and cities". The Guardian. Retrieved 15 February 2013.
- "List of L-DTPS Award Decisions". Ofcom. Retrieved 5 January 2015.
- "List of Previous L-DTPS Licence Applicants". Ofcom. Retrieved 5 January 2015.
- "Ofcom awards local TV licences in Scotland". Ofcom. 11 January 2013.
- Brown, Maggie (4 September 2013). "Local TV steps up activity ahead of launch". The Guardian. Retrieved 5 September 2013.
- "Ofcom awards Leeds local TV licence". Ofcom. 15 February 2013. Retrieved 15 February 2013.
- "Ofcom awards Liverpool local TV licence". Ofcom. 21 February 2013. Retrieved 21 February 2013.
- "Ofcom awards London local TV licence". Ofcom. 4 February 2013. Retrieved 15 February 2013.
- "Ofcom awards second set of local TV licences". Ofcom. 19 September 2012. Retrieved 30 August 2013.
- "Mustard: Norwich local TV service to create 14 new jobs". BBC News. 20 September 2012. Retrieved 30 August 2013.
- "Made In Tyne and Wear awarded local TV licence". PressGazette. 6 December 2012. Retrieved 15 February 2013.
- "Rantzen set to star on That’s Oxford TV". Oxford Times. 8 November 2012. Retrieved 15 February 2013.
- "Ofcom awards Preston local TV licence". Ofcom. 1 March 2013. Retrieved 1 March 2013.
- Reynolds, John (14 August 2012). "Lebedev, Johnson and Norris to fight it out for London TV". MediaWeek. Retrieved 15 February 2013.
- "List of Applicants". Ofcom. 14 August 2012. Retrieved 15 February 2013.
- Ray, Bill (14 August 2012). "Wannabe media barons outed in UK local telly bid list". The Register. Retrieved 15 February 2013.
- "Local TV: No bids for Swansea, but two for Cardiff". BBC News. 14 August 2012. Retrieved 15 February 2013.
- "Birmingham local TV firm City TV in administration". BBC News. 8 August 2014. Retrieved 8 August 2014.
- "Ofcom prepares for second phase of local TV licensing". Ofcom. 13 March 2013. Retrieved 13 March 2013.
- "List of Current L-DTPS Licence Applicants". Ofcom. Retrieved 5 January 2015.
- "Local TV Award decision: non-award for Bangor" (PDF). Ofcom. Retrieved 5 January 2015.
- "Ofcom awards Cambridge and Scarborough local TV licences". Ofcom. 31 October 2013. Retrieved 31 October 2013.
- "Local TV Award: Guildford" (PDF). Ofcom. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- "Ofcom awards York and Middlesbrough local TV licences". Ofcom. 27 November 2013. Retrieved 27 November 2013.
- "Ofcom awards Swansea and Mold local TV licences". Ofcom. 23 January 2014. Retrieved 23 January 2014.
- "Local TV Award: Reading" (PDF). Ofcom. Retrieved 5 January 2015.
- "Local TV Award: Salisbury" (PDF). Ofcom. Retrieved 5 January 2015.