Lochailort railway station
|Scottish Gaelic: Loch Ailleart|
Looking towards Mallaig
|Managed by||Abellio ScotRail|
|Number of platforms||1|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|Original company||Mallaig Extension Railway of West Highland Railway|
|Pre-grouping||North British Railway|
|1 April 1901||Station opened|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Lochailort from Office of Rail and Road statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
|UK Railways portal|
The station was constructed with two platforms and was an electric token block post, working to Glenfinnan on one side and Arisaig on the other, until the Up loop was lifted in 1966. The loops were lengthened during the Second World War and a new brick signal box erected, the foundations of which now can still be seen at the Arisaig end of the single platform now in use. The original station buildings were of a similar design to those at Glenfinnan and Arisaig but fell into disrepair after de-staffing and were demolished during the 1970s.
Four services call here each way on weekdays and Saturdays and either one or three each way (depending on the time of year) on Sundays. These are mostly through trains between Mallaig and Glasgow Queen Street, through one each way only runs between Mallaig and Fort William.
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
West Highland Line
Line and Station open
|North British Railway
Mallaig Extension Railway of West Highland Railway
Line and Station open
- Butt (1995)
- Table 227 National Rail timetable, May 2016
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-508-7. OCLC 60251199.
- Jowett, Alan (March 1989). Jowett's Railway Atlas of Great Britain and Ireland: From Pre-Grouping to the Present Day (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-086-0. OCLC 22311137.
- Jowett, Alan (2000). Jowett's Nationalised Railway Atlas (1st ed.). Penryn, Cornwall: Atlantic Transport Publishers. ISBN 978-0-906899-99-1. OCLC 228266687.
- RAILSCOT on Mallaig Extension Railway
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lochailort railway station.|
|This Scotland railway station-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|