"Lock, stock, and barrel" is a merism used predominantly in the United Kingdom and North America, meaning "all", "total" or "everything". It derives from the effective portions of a gun: the lock, the stock, and the barrel.
The term was first recorded in the letters of Sir Walter Scott in 1817, in the line "Like the High-landman's gun, she wants stock, lock, and barrel, to put her into repair." It is, however, thought that this term evolved into a popular saying some years before in England.
Lock Stock & Barrel is a book dealing with the restoration and repair of antique firearms, in two volumes.
"Lock, stock, and barrel" is the name of an achievement in the popular zombie survival video game, Unturned, which can be achieved by crafting a rocket launcher within the game's "Arid" map.
Officer Lockstock and Officer Barrel are two characters from Urinetown: the Musical. Another musical that used it was the animated musical The Nightmare Before Christmas by Tim Burton featured three infamous children, the 'Trick or Treaters' 'Lock', 'Shock' and 'Barrel'.
The phrase was spoken by the character Leonardo Leonardo in Clerks: The Animated Series (season 1, episode 1).
The phrase is written in the sign of the "Cannonball pub" in the 1981 movie "The Cannonbal Run"
Politician Mike Pence, Vice President of the United States under Donald Trump, has heavily favored the phrase since at least 2010 when urging for the repeal of Obamacare, and used the phrase extensively during and after the 2016 presidential campaign.
- "Lock, Stock and Barrel « The Word Detective". www.word-detective.com.
- "Pence Doubles Down On Health Repeal: 'Committed To Repealing ObamaCare Lock, Stock And Barrel'". Thinkprogress.org. Retrieved 30 September 2017.
- Ryan, Josiah (19 January 2011). "Pence: Republicans want to repeal healthcare 'lock, stock and barrel'". Thehill.com. Retrieved 30 September 2017.
- Japsen, Bruce. "Mike Pence Backed ACA's Medicaid Expansion 'Lock, Stock' And Co-Pay". Forbes.com. Retrieved 30 September 2017.
- Mike Pence [@mike_pence] (20 October 2016). "When @realDonaldTrump becomes president, we are going to repeal and replace Obamacare lock, stock and barrel" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "McConnell: Repealing Obamacare 'first item up'". Cnn.com. Retrieved 30 September 2017.