From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- from Old English, as an occupational surname for locksmiths or lock keepers;
- from Old English, Dutch, German, and English, as a toponym for one who had residence near an enclosure, particularly one that could be locked; a barrier, particularly that on a river; or a bridge;
- from Old English and Old High German, as a name for one with curly hair.
- from a romanization of "Lok", the Cantonese pronunciation of the Chinese surname Luo 駱/骆.
People with this surname
- Alain LeRoy Locke (1885–1954), African American educator, writer, and philosopher.
- David Ross Locke (1833–1888), American journalist and humourist, also known by the pseudonym Petroleum V. Nasby
- Dean Jewett Locke (1823–1887), doctor, founder of Lockeford, California
- Edwin A. Locke (born 1938), American psychologist known for the goal-setting theory developed with G. Latham
- Elizabeth Locke, contestant on The Apprentice (UK) series six
- Gary Locke (disambiguation)
- John Locke (1632–1704), English philosopher
- John Locke (American Professor) (1792–1856)
- John Locke (Canadian politician) (1825–1873), a Nova Scotia Senator 1867–1873
- John Locke (Massachusetts) (1764-1855), member of the U.S. House of Representatives, 1823–1829
- John Locke (musician), (1943-2006) former member of the jazz-hard rock band "Spirit"
- John Locke (poet) (1847-1889), Irish poet, novelist and journalist whose best known poem is Dawn on the Irish Coast
- John L. Locke, contemporary American biolinguist, psycholinguist, child phonologist
- Joseph Locke (1805–1860), English civil engineer, particularly associated with railway projects
- Keith Locke (born 1944), New Zealand Member of Parliament for the Green Party of Aotearoa, New Zealand
- Kevin Locke (disambiguation)
- Kimberley Locke (born 1978), competitor in second season of American Idol
- Lewis Locke (1835-1920), American Civil War Medal of Honor recipient.
- Matthew Locke (disambiguation)
- Matthew Locke (composer) (c. 1621 – 1677), English Baroque composer
- Michael K. Locke (1952-2014), American politician
- Richard Adams Locke, 19th-century journalist and creator of the Great Moon Hoax
- Sondra Locke (born 1947), American actor
- William John Locke (1863–1930), English author
- Locke, a pseudonym of Peter Wiggin in novels by Orson Scott Card
- Locke, father of Knuckles the Echidna in the Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
- Chōjin Locke, main character of the manga Locke the Superman
- Adam Locke, Nick "Havoc" Parker's commander in video game Command & Conquer: Renegade
- John Locke in the television series Lost
- Locke Cole, a character in the video game Final Fantasy VI (FF3 in North America)
- Jameson Locke, a character in the video game Halo 5: Guardians, Fireteam Osiris leader, former ONI operative
- Lock (surname)
- Locke (disambiguation)
- Lok (disambiguation), which includes a list of people with the surname
|This page lists people with the surname Locke. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.|