New South Wales
Location in New South Wales
|• Density||1.06448/km2 (2.7570/sq mi)|
|Area||2,895.32 km2 (1,117.9 sq mi)|
|State electorate(s)||Wagga Wagga|
The mayor of Lockhart Shire is yet to be determined following the 2012 local government election.
A 2015 review of local government boundaries by the NSW Government Independent Pricing and Regulatory Tribunal recommended that the Lockhart Shire merge with the Corowa and Urana shires to form a new council with an area of 8,581 square kilometres (3,313 sq mi) and support a population of approximately 16,000. In May 2016 the Minister for Local Government announced that following an independent review of merger proposals, the Government decided that the Corowa and Urana shire councils merge to form the Federation Council; while the Lockhart Shire would not amgamate.
Current composition and election method
Lockhart Shire Council is composed of nine councillors elected proportionally as three separate wards, each electing three councillors. All councillors are elected for a fixed four-year term of office. The mayor is elected by the councillors at the first meeting of the Council. The most recent election was held on 8 September 2012. However, in C Ward there was an equal number of candidates, being those below, that nominated for election. There being no additional candidates, the election for C Ward was uncontested. An election was held for A and B Wards. The makeup of the Council is as follows:
|Independents and Unaligned||9|
The current Council, elected in 2012, in order of election by ward, is:
|A Ward||Rodger Schirmer||Unaligned|
|B Ward||Ken Hogan||Independent|
|C Ward||Gail Driscoll||Independent|
- "3218.0 - Regional Population Growth, Australia, 2012". Australian Bureau of Statistics. 30 August 2013. Retrieved 27 March 2014. Estimated resident population (ERP) at 30 June 2012.
- "Lockhart Regional Profile". Riverina Regional Development Board. Archived from the original on 2008-07-20. Retrieved 2008-08-28.
- "Merger proposal: Corowa Shire Council, Lockhart Shire Council, Urana Shire Council" (PDF). Government of New South Wales. January 2016. p. 8. Retrieved 13 March 2016.
- "New Councils: Merger proposals not commencing". Stronger Councils. Government of New South Wales. 12 May 2016. Retrieved 22 May 2016.
- "No council vote in some Riverina shires". ABC News (Australia). 10 August 2012. Retrieved 2 October 2012.
- "Lockhart Shire Council - A Ward". Local Government Elections 2012. Electoral Commission of New South Wales. 13 September 2012. Retrieved 2 October 2012.
- "Lockhart Shire Council - B Ward". Local Government Elections 2012. Electoral Commission of New South Wales. 13 September 2012. Retrieved 2 October 2012.
- "Lockhart Shire Council - C Ward". Local Government Elections 2012. Electoral Commission of New South Wales. 8 September 2012. Retrieved 2 October 2012.
|This Riverina geography article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|