|Intercommunality||Quimper Bretagne Occidentale|
|• Mayor (2020–2026)||Antoine Gabrièle|
|8.08 km2 (3.12 sq mi)|
|• Density||98/km2 (250/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Elevation||38–280 m (125–919 ft) |
(avg. 145 m or 476 ft)
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
Saint Ronan is greatly venerated in Brittany. He was an Irish Christian missionary of the 6th century who came to the region to teach the people. As his association with Locronan is close, some of his relics are kept in the parish church.
Locronan is a small town built at the foot of a hill. It was granted town status in 1505 by Anne of Brittany, who went there on a pilgrimage.
Since the 15th century, hemp has naturally grown in the area (see Hemp in France). It was cultivated and processed in a hemp industry in the town at the time, and it was widely used. The town was quite prosperous. Its hemp was exported internationally, as it was used for rigging the ships, both commercial and military, that operated from Brittany's many ports. The Saint Ronan church was built in this period, as well as the small chapel of Penity.
Inhabitants of Locronan are called in French Locronanais.
Held every six years between the second and third Sundays in July, the Grande Troménie is a pilgrimage of about 12 km, traversing the wider sacred area around Locronan. In the intervening five years, the Petite Troménie is held on the second Sunday in July. It is based in the town and church of Locronan. These are among the major pardons or ceremonies of the traditional Breton festal calendar.
Locronan has been used as a setting in films:
- Tess (1979), directed by Roman Polanski
- A Very Long Engagement, directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet
- Chouans!, directed by Philippe de Broca
A notable image of the Deposition of Christ in the church at Locronan.
The banner of St Corentin of Quimper at Locronan.
Altar of the Rosary.
- Communes of the Finistère department
- List of works of the two Folgoët ateliers
- Locranon Parish close
- "Répertoire national des élus: les maires". data.gouv.fr, Plateforme ouverte des données publiques françaises (in French). 2 December 2020.
- "Populations légales 2019". The National Institute of Statistics and Economic Studies. 29 December 2021.
- List of "Les Plus Beaux Villages de France"
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Locronan.|