Locust Point, Bronx
Location in New York City
|City||New York City|
|Community District||The Bronx 10|
|• Total||1.08 km2 (0.416 sq mi)|
|• Density||1,400/km2 (3,600/sq mi)|
|• Median income||$85,072|
|Area code||718, 347, 929, and 917|
Locust Point (also Pirate Cove) is a small, peninsular neighborhood in the south eastern portion of the New York City borough of the Bronx. It is bounded by Harding Avenue on the north, the Throgs Neck Bridge to the east, and Eastchester Bay. The neighborhood is part of Bronx Community District 10. The area contains single-family houses, populated ethnically by Irish, German, and Italian families. A famous former resident of Locust Point is Michael Kay, the Yankees TV broadcaster on the YES Network and radio talk show host on 1050 ESPN radio. The Locust Point Yacht club occupies the outermost block before the bay.
Locust Point used to be an island called Locust Island, however, the waterway that separated it from mainland Bronx was filled in and built upon. After it was no longer an island, its name was changed. Part of the landfill was for the bridge's northern ramp and toll plaza. Before it was Locust Island, it was called Wrights Island because it was owned by Captain J.T. Wright.
- "NYC Planning | Community Profiles". communityprofiles.planning.nyc.gov. New York City Department of City Planning. Retrieved 15 March 2018.
- "Locust Point neighborhood in New York". Retrieved 22 October 2015.
- "Bronx Community District 10" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 22 October 2015.
- "IF YOU'RE THINKING OF LIVING IN THROGS NECK". The New York Times. Retrieved 22 October 2015.
- "Locust Point Yacht Club - Description". Retrieved 22 October 2015.
- "8 Long Lost Islands That Used To Be Part of New York City". Retrieved 22 October 2015.
- Locust Point Yacht Club (Facebook page)
- Locust Point Yacht Club, Bronx (Sail Clubs)
- Locust Point Yacht Club (Waterkeeper Swim Guide)
|This article about a location in The Bronx, New York is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|