Loften High School
|Professional Academies' Magnet @ Loften High School|
|Motto||Every Student, Every Day, engaged and experiencing success.|
|School district||Alachua County School District|
|Faculty||14.01 (on FTE basis)|
|Grades||Preschool and 9 to 12|
|Student to teacher ratio||18.84|
|Color(s)||Blue and Gold|
|Website||Loften High School|
The Professional Academies' Magnet @ Loften High School (or W. Travis Loften High School) is a public high school in Gainesville, Florida in the United States. It is part of Alachua County School District and occupies a 174-acre (0.70 km2) campus in a medium-sized community.
Unlike other high schools in the area, Loften is not a school where students are regularly zoned to attend and assigned. Loften remains a "school of choice" where students must actively seek the school out and apply as opposed to simply showing up due to location. While this ensures only students who really want to go actually attend, it also means that Loften has a very small student body. Because of this, Loften averages around 300 students in the daytime. These students are divided among 44 teachers in a 4-period block schedule.
Loften is home to the Alachua County Continuing Education for Pregnant Teens (ACCEPT). The program focuses on pregnant teens and teen mothers, attempting to continue their education. Loften is the only high school in the area with an on-campus childcare for use by the students. The childcare is provided free of charge and care for the children is from the beginning to the end of a full school day.
Beginning in the Fall of 2007, Loften became Alachua County's premier school for career and technical education. In total, it currently has five career-oriented programs including:
- Academy of Automotive Technology
- Academy of Fire and EMS (Firefighting/Emergency Medical Services)
- Academy of Gaming and Mobile App Development
- Academy of Robotics and Engineering
- Institute of Graphic Art and Design
- Academy of Design and Technology
- Academy of Early Childhood Education
- Principal: William McElroy
- Assistant Principal: Cheryl Allen
- Dean: Ms. Taylor
- Administration Archived 2008-05-09 at the Wayback Machine. Loften High School. Retrieved on 2008-04-15.
- "PROFESSIONAL ACADEMY MAGNET AT LOFTEN HIGH SCHOOL". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved May 7, 2020.