A log profile, or logarithmic profile, is a shooting profile, or gamma curve, found on some digital video cameras that gives a wide dynamic and tonal range, allowing more latitude to apply colour and style choices. The resulting image appears washed out, requiring color grading in post-production, but retains shadow and highlight detail that would otherwise be lost if a regular linear profile had been used that clipped shadow and highlight detail. The feature is mostly used in filmmaking and videography.
Proprietary log profiles on various cameras
- C-Log or Canon Log on Canon cameras (including C-Log2 and C-Log3)
- D-Log on DJI UAV cameras
- F-Log on Fujifilm cameras
- N-Log on Nikon cameras
- S-Log on Sony cameras (including S-Log2 and S-Log3)
- V-Log on Panasonic cameras (including Panasonic, Panavision and Lumix cameras).
- UK,www.canon.co.uk, Canon. "Canon Log Gamma". www.canon.co.uk. Retrieved 2018-10-07.
- "How to shoot Log video using DJI's D-Log color profile". DPReview. Retrieved 2018-10-07.
- "LUT for F-Log (Look Up Table)". www.fujifilm.com. Retrieved 2018-10-07.
- "Nikon introduces the new Nikon Z mount system, and releases two full-frame mirrorless cameras: the Nikon Z 7 and Nikon Z 6". www.nikon.com. Retrieved 2018-10-07.
- "S-Log". pro.sony. Retrieved 2018-10-07.
- "What is S-Log?". www.sony.co.uk. Retrieved 2018-10-07.
- "A quick look at Log Gamma with DPReview.com" – video demonstrates reasons for using a log profile