Logan High School (La Crosse, Wisconsin)
|Logan High School|
|1500 Ranger Dr, 54603
La Crosse, Wisconsin
|Color(s)||Red and White|
|Athletics conference||Mississippi Valley Conference|
Logan High School is a public high school in La Crosse, Wisconsin operated by the School District of La Crosse. Located on the city's north side, the 240,000 square foot school is situated on a 32-acre site in the La Crosse River Valley.
In August 1979, construction of the new Logan Senior High School was completed on the north side of La Crosse. The new school was a three-year high school during the 1979-80 school year. It became a four-year high school (grades 9-12) in 1980 with the reorganization of the district and creation of middle schools. Two classroom wings for the math, social studies and world language departments were later added. A multi-purpose addition was finished in the fall of 1997, which provides music and athletic practice and performance facilities. Today, Logan High is a two-story building of about 240,000 square feet (22,000 m2) situated on a 32-acre (130,000 m2) site in the La Crosse River Valley on the city's north side. Students from La Crosse's north side, partial south side, Campbell, Medary, and some open enrollment attendees from surrounding municipalities are served by the school.
In 2005, principal Scott Mihalovic won the La Crosse Tribune Person of the Year award stating, "Scott Mihalovic, who as principal at Logan High School provided steady leadership during a challenging period at the school."
- 843 Students grades 9-12
- 66 teachers, 16 teacher asst. — 15 Departments (more than 50% have master's degrees)
- Average class size: 24.5
- Core classes: 28
- AP courses: 21
- Electives: 20
- School Mascot: "La Crosse Logan Rangers"
- In October, 2013, Logan High reported:
- Academic Decathlon
- Cisco Networking Academy
- Chinese, French, German, and Spanish language courses
- Delta Epsilon Phi, Honor Society in German
- EStart for School-Age Parents
- FBLA, "Future Business Leaders of America"
- FCCLA, "Family, Career and Community Leaders of America"
- Go Green Team
- High Quiz Bowl and NAQT
- LEAP — Alternative Program
- Marketing Coop Job, Apprenticeship
- National Honor Society
- Project Lead the Way
- Project Respect
- Ranger Renaissance
- School Within a School
- Youth Apprenticeship
Sport programs include basketball, baseball, softball, volleyball, track and field, wrestling, cross country, swimming, tennis, power lifting, soccer, football, fall dance team, winter dance team, cheer leading, golf, gymnastics, hockey, and ski teams.
- Wernher-von-Braun-Gymnasium, Friedberg, Bavaria, Germany
- Luoyang Foreign Language School, Luoyang, China
In 2014 US News & World Report ranked Logan 29th among Wisconsin's high schools, earning a silver medal. The ranking mentioned the school's AP participation rate of 30%. In 2015, Logan High School was not ranked among the top 59 high schools in the state by US News & World Report.
- D. Wayne Lukas, horse trainer, taught and coached at Logan
- Ruth Ann Musick, folklorist and author, taught at Logan from 1923 to 1931
- Edward R. Hauser, University of Wisconsin professor and chairman, Meat and Animal Science
- Ron Kind 1981, United States House of Representatives
- Doug Martin, college basketball coach
- Clarence Tommerson, NFL player
- La Crosse Central High School
- Onalaska High School
- Holmen High School
- West Salem High School
- Aquinas High School
- Luther High School