Logan Township, Blair County, Pennsylvania
Map of Blair County, Pennsylvania highlighting Logan Township
|• Type||Board of Supervisors|
|• Total||46.84 sq mi (121.31 km2)|
|• Land||46.51 sq mi (120.46 km2)|
|• Water||0.33 sq mi (0.85 km2)|
|• Estimate (2016)||12,561|
|• Density||270.06/sq mi (104.27/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
Logan Township is a township in Blair County, Pennsylvania, United States. It is part of the Altoona, PA Metropolitan Statistical Area. It is the most populous township in Blair County, with a population of 12,289 at the 2010 census. Logan Township is home to Horseshoe Curve, a National Historic Landmark.
- ZIP codes: 16601, 16602, 16603
- Area code: 814
- Local telephone exchanges: 940, 941, 942, 943, 944, 946, 947, 949
Logan Township is located in west-central Blair County and nearly encloses the city of Altoona. The township includes the unincorporated communities of Greenwood, to the northeast of Altoona, and Lakemont, to the southeast. The Interstate 99/U.S. Route 220 freeway passes through Logan Township as it bypasses Altoona to the east, with access from Exits 31, 32, and 33.
Horseshoe Curve is located in the southwest part of the township where the Norfolk Southern Railway's Pittsburgh Line climbs the Allegheny Front, a major escarpment at the edge of the Allegheny Mountains of central Pennsylvania.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 46.7 square miles (121.0 km2), of which 46.4 square miles (120.1 km2) is land and 0.31 square miles (0.8 km2), or 0.70%, is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 11,925 people, 4,728 households, and 3,337 families residing in the township. The population density was 255.8 people per square mile (98.8/km²). There were 4,975 housing units at an average density of 106.7/sq mi (41.2/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 98.42% White, 0.59% African American, 0.07% Native American, 0.42% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 0.06% from other races, and 0.44% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.40% of the population.
There were 4,728 households, out of which 27.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 57.8% were married couples living together, 9.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.4% were non-families. 24.3% of all households were made up of individuals, and 11.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.48 and the average family size was 2.91.
In the township the population was spread out, with 20.5% under the age of 18, 9.5% from 18 to 24, 25.3% from 25 to 44, 27.3% from 45 to 64, and 17.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females there were 94.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 91.1 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $36,993, and the median income for a family was $44,772. Males had a median income of $35,000 versus $21,717 for females. The per capita income for the township was $18,439. About 3.3% of families and 7.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 7.1% of those under age 18 and 5.5% of those age 65 or over.
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Aug 13, 2017.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Logan township, Blair County, Pennsylvania". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved March 12, 2014.
- 2007 General Highway Map Blair County Pennsylvania (PDF) (Map). 1:65,000. Pennsylvania Department of Transportation, Bureau of Planning and Research, Geographic Information Division. Retrieved 2008-04-02.[permanent dead link] Note: shows Horseshoe Curve
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2016.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.