Lois Mai Chan
|Lois Mai Chan|
July 30, 1934 |
|Died||August 20, 2014
Lexington, Kentucky, U.S.
|Alma mater||National Taiwan University, Florida State University (Master of Arts), University of Kentucky (Ph.D)|
|Known for||Contributions to the science of library cataloging and library science education|
Lois Mai Chan (Chinese: 麥麟屏, July 30, 1934 – August 20, 2014) was an American librarian, author, and professor at the University of Kentucky School of Library and Information Science until 2011. Her publications on cataloging, library classification, and subject indexing were recognized with various awards.
Chan was born in 1934 in Taiwan, and studied foreign languages at National Taiwan University. After moving to the United States, she obtained a Master's of Arts from Florida State University, and a Ph.D. from the University of Kentucky.
She began her library career as a serials cataloger at the University of Kentucky in 1966. By 1980, she was a professor in the library sciences department at the university. Chan began publishing books in the late 1970s, beginning with Library of Congress Subject Headings: Principles and Application, a text on the Library of Congress (LC) system of subject headings. She followed with texts on library cataloging, the LC classification scheme, and the Dewey Decimal Classification.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Principles and Application
- Cataloging and Classification: An Introduction
- Immroth's Guide to the Library of Congress Classification
- Dewey Decimal Classification: a Practical Guide
- "Remembering Dr. Lois Mai Chan". Library and Information Science. University of Kentucky. Archived from the original on April 9, 2015. Retrieved October 2, 2015.
- Chan, Lois Mai. Biography and Genealogy Master Index. Gale/Cengage Learning.
- "Awards". American Libraries. 37 (8): 43–61. 2006.
- "Lois Mai Chan Wins Beta Phi Mu Award". Chinese Librarianship (21): 5. 2006.
- "Fund Honors Professor Lois Chan". Library and Information Science. University of Kentucky. Archived from the original on September 24, 2014. Retrieved March 11, 2013.
- Liu, Mengxiong (2000). "The History and Status of Chinese Americans in Librarianship". Library Trends. 49 (1). Retrieved March 14, 2013.