June 7, 1933 |
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
|Residence||Manalapan, Florida, United States|
Pope was born Lois Berrodin in suburban Philadelphia. She attended, but did not graduate from, Chestnut Hill College in Philadelphia, which later presented her with an Honorary Doctor of Laws Degree in recognition of her philanthropic work. Pope later attended Fairleigh Dickinson University in New Jersey and Florida Atlantic University. Pope has an honorary doctor of humane letters degree from the Rabbinical College of America.
Pope established the Lois Pope LIFE Foundation and the Lois Pope LIFE Center. The Lois Pope LIFE Center is a neurological research facility that originated from Pope’s contribution of $10 million to the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine.
Pope’s organizations have sponsored a variety of charitable endeavors, including a clean-water project in Guatemala, summer camp grants for disadvantaged youths, programs to honor disabled veterans, and HealthCorps. She initiated the discussions which led to the creation of the American Veterans Disabled for Life Memorial, to which she and her foundations donated more than $10 million.
She was married to Generoso Pope, Jr., who founded the National Enquirer. In 1988, he died of a heart attack at the age of 61. About a year after his death, and according to the terms of his will, the executors of his estate put the Enquirer and its sister publications up for sale. The company was bought in a closed auction by Macfadden Publishing and Boston Ventures partnership for $412 million.
She resides in Manalapan, Florida. She has four children. One of her children with Generoso, Lorraine (born 1973), has Down syndrome and lives in a residence for developmentally-challenged individuals in Ross, California.
- The Lois Pope Foundation, "Tribute to 3 Million Disabled American Veterans", Disabled World, May 23, 2011. Accessed April 16, 2012.
- "National Enquirer Heir Says Feuding Mother Wants to 'Villainize' Him - ABC News". Abcnews.go.com. 2013-04-11. Retrieved 2013-09-29.
- "`Profligate lifestyle'! - Orlando Sentinel". Articles.orlandosentinel.com. 2007-06-14. Retrieved 2013-09-29.
- "Mrs. Pope's Money - Sun Sentinel". Articles.sun-sentinel.com. 1995-11-19. Retrieved 2013-09-29.
- The Lois Pope Foundation, "About: Leaders in Furthering Education" Leaders in Furthering Education. Archived from the original on February 16, 2006. Accessed March 25, 2006.
- "Florida Atlantic University will honor Lois Pope for integral role played in founding Honors College". TCPalm. 2011-02-24. Retrieved 2013-09-29.
- The Lois Pope Foundation, "The Lois Pope LIFE Center Will Be Top Neurological Research Facility In The World", Lois Pope Foundation, October 26, 2000. Accessed April 16, 2012.
- Wilborn, Thom (May 2, 2013). "Architect of Modern DAV Retires". DAV News. Retrieved April 6, 2014.
- "Philanthropist Expands Reach with Additional $1 Million Gift to Building of American Veterans Disabled for Life Memorial". Travel & Leisure Close-Up. May 26, 2011.
- "Generoso P. Pope Jr. Dead at 61; The National Enquirer's Publisher - New York Times". Nytimes.com. 1988-10-03. Retrieved 2013-09-29.
- "Paul D. Pope vs. Lois B. Pope et al" (PDF). Matbrolaw.com. Retrieved 2013-09-29.
- "Gift to Kann Melanoma Foundation to go for dermatology...". www.palmbeachdailynews.com. 2013-02-25. Retrieved 2013-09-29.
- "Lois Pope’s son sues her for more than $5 million claiming...". www.palmbeachdailynews.com. Retrieved 2013-09-29.
- "Property valuation of Isla Verde Way, Delray Beach, FL: 7551 (MICHAEL J ROTHBERG), 7557 (JEFFREY ROSENBERG), 7563 (SELMA PLUZNICK), 7564 (LOIS B POPE), 7569 (ROBERT B JAEDER), 7570 (GERALDINE REICH), 7576 (STANLEY DEUTSCH), 7582 (LEONARD J BOROW), 7587 (MICHAEL S PAUL), 7588 (CHRSALX INC) (tax assessments)". City-data.com. Retrieved 2013-09-29.
- "Mrs. Pope's Money - Page 2 - Sun Sentinel". Articles.sun-sentinel.com. 1995-11-19. Retrieved 2013-09-29.
- "Fortune lost! Family feuds!". NY Daily News. 2007-07-06. Retrieved 2013-09-29.
- "Family Photos: The Heart Of Her Art - Sun Sentinel". Articles.sun-sentinel.com. 1999-05-21. Retrieved 2013-09-29.
- "Miami New Times – 05-02-2013 : Metro". Digitalissue.miaminewtimes.com. Retrieved 2013-09-29.
- Kyle Swenson (2013-05-02). "Pope Family Battle: Like The Godfather - - News - Fort Lauderdale and Palm Beach - New Times Broward-Palm Beach". Browardpalmbeach.com. Retrieved 2013-09-29.
- "Lorraine Pope, Youngest Daughter of Lois Pope, Takes Home Gold Medal from Special Olympics". Life-edu.org. 2013-07-25. Retrieved 2013-09-29.
- Ainsworth, Brent (2010-06-15). "Cedars of Marin's new campus dedicated - Marin Independent Journal". Marinij.com. Retrieved 2013-09-29.
- Lambiet, Jose (2013-05-19). "Lois Pope has son Paul arrested on stalking complaint - Jose Lambiet". MiamiHerald.com. Retrieved 2013-09-29.
- "The Ongoing Feud Of The National Enquirer's Pope Family". Forbes. Retrieved 2013-09-29.