Lola (Iggy Azalea song)
|Single by Iggy Azalea and Alice Chater|
|from the EP Wicked Lips|
|Released||8 November 2019|
|Iggy Azalea singles chronology|
|Alice Chater singles chronology|
"Lola" is a song by Australian rapper Iggy Azalea, released as the lead single from her fifth extended play Wicked Lips (2019). The song is a collaboration with British singer Alice Chater. It was released by Bad Dreams Records (a record label owned by Azalea herself) and Empire Distribution on 8 November 2019 along with its accompanying music video. The song contains a sample of "Mambo Italiano".
Azalea and Chater performed the song live for the first time at the International Music Awards in Berlin, Germany on 22 November 2019.
Background and development
Following the release of her long-delayed second studio album in mid-2019, Azalea announced shortly after its release that she would not tour to promote it and would instead work on recording new music. After teasing collaborations with Brooke Candy and Pabllo Vittar, Azalea tweeted a photo of her and British singer and dancer Alice Chater in the studio working on a new song. Eventually she reveled the title alongside its cover art in late-October 2019, a week before the official release on 7 November.
The song was written by Chater, Azalea, A. Cygnaues, D. Gavin, Dhani Lennevald, and Kee Ingrosso and produced by Carl Falk and J. White Did It.
Promotion and release
After teasing the song for several weeks on Twitter, the song was officially released on 8 November 2019. Lola was serviced to US pop and rhythmic radio stations the day of its release, with an accompanying music video being released the same day as well. The song was also featured on Spotify's Rhythmic and Viral 50 playlists.
The duo performed the song live for the first time at the International Music Awards in Berlin, Germany on 22 November 2019.
A music video for the song was released to YouTube on the same day as the single's release. On Twitter, Azalea stated "Lola" was her biggest production to date. Thom Kerr and Azalea directed the music video. Azalea said on Twitter that she co-directs and co-edits all her videos on Adobe Premiere Pro.
A behind-the-scenes video was uploaded to YouTube documenting the creative process. The video features eight costume changes for the two singers.
The video takes place inside an insane asylum named Celestial Heights Insane Asylum for Wicked Lips and Devilish Women. It begins as three older nurses (one which is played by Thelma Gudmunds) roll a cart of pills down to the hospital room in which Azalea and Chater are sharing. Once they take their medications, they slip into a trance during which they dance and sing their way through multiple sets.
The first setting shows the nurses in leopard print nurse outfits while Azalea and Chater dance in a gratified room, followed by the duo trying to escape the nurses while dancing down a hallway. After the nurses detain Azalea and Chater, the camera pans to a photo on the wall where it then shows Azalea and Chater dancing in a blood orange-colored padded safety room while wearing fashionable green straight-jackets. Azalea and Chater are then seen in a hyper colored room that has two bathtubs filled with pills. They then are in a pink floral printed bathroom as the duo shave. After, Azalea and Chater have a synchronized dance breakdown in a new room with the nurses while in matching outfits. Before Azalea and Chater come out of their hallucinations, they are shown in bathtubs filled with pills. The video is edited to feature psychedelic effects during this segment to emphasize their drug-induced trance. Once the scene ends, Azalea and Chater come to and embark on psychotic frenzies in front of the nurses. As Chater belts out her high note, the two girls fall onto their bed, ending their episode and arriving at the conclusion of the video.
Upon its release, "Lola" garnered generally favorable reviews from critics and fans alike. Mike Nied of Idolator praised the song and expressed his expectations of the song having potential to be a "'Fancy'-sized hit". Perez Hilton gave the song a positive review on his blog, commenting that it is "a major bop" and "really genuinely great", comparing it to the works of Carlos Santana. Drushti Sawant of Republic praised the pairing of the signers as "an iconic duo" and commented that the song was a "great, upbeat tune".
|Belgium (Ultratip Wallonia)||31|
|Belgium Urban (Ultratop Flanders)||45|
|New Zealand Hot Singles (RMNZ)||28|
|Scotland (Official Charts Company)||76|
|UK Download (Official Charts Company)||84|
|US Rap Digital Song Sales (Billboard)||9|
|Various||8 November 2019||
|United States||3 December 2019||Top 40 radio|||
- "Iggy Azalea Hypes Up New Music Dropping Friday with Alice Chater". SOHH. 6 November 2019. Retrieved 8 November 2019.
- Kucher, Daniel (14 November 2019). "Iggy Azalea postpones release of Wicked Lips EP".
- Kucher, Daniel (23 November 2019). "In awards in Germany, Iggy Azalea makes first televised performance of "Lola"". Somag News. Retrieved 22 December 2019.
- "Iggy Azalea - Lola ft. Alice Chater Video". 11 November 2019 – via www.contactmusic.com.
- Sahadeo, Andy (31 October 2019). "Iggy Azalea debuts 'Lola' artwork, deletes previous Instagram posts". Fox News.
- Manson, Leonard (21 October 2019). "Iggy Azalea Confirms Release Of New Single, With Clip,For November".
- Currinn, Jonathan (13 November 2019). "Iggy Azalea & Alice Chater Team-Up For New Single & Music Video "Lola" Which Samples "Mambo Italiano"". CelebMix.
- "Iggy Azalea & Alice Chater Sample A 1950s Classic On "Lola"". Genius.
- "Song Lyrics of 'Lola' by Iggy Azalea, Alice Chater". Glamsham.
- "Iggy Azalea Unleashes "Lola" Video". Rap-Up. 8 November 2019. Retrieved 8 November 2019.
- "Iggy Azalea & Alice Chater Go Loco In "Lola" Music Video!". 8 November 2019.
- "IGGY AZALEA TEAMS UP WITH ALICE CHATER FOR 'LOLA'". 8 November 2019.
- Kucher, Daniel (12 November 2019). "Iggy Azalea releases the cover of the EP "Wicked Lips", which arrives this Friday".
- "Iggy Azalea Unleashes 'Lola' Video". Rap-Up.
- "Iggy Azalea Delivers "Lola" Ft. Alice Chater From Her Forthcoming EP "Wicked Lips"". HotNewHipHop.
- "Unstoppable! Iggy Azalea Introduces New EP 'Wicked Lips' With "LOLA"". idolator. 8 November 2019.
- "Listen To This: Keep On Shining!". Perez Hilton. 10 November 2019.
- World, Republic. "Iggy Azalea collaborates with Alice Chater for her new single- Lola". Republic World.
- "Iggy Azalea and Alice Chater just dropped the best music video of the year". Gay Times. 8 November 2019.
- "All The Best New Pop Music From This Week". 12 November 2019.
- "Ultratop.be – Iggy Azalea & Alice Chater - Lola – Lola" (in French). Ultratip. Retrieved 4 February 2020.
- "NZ Hot Singles Chart". Recorded Music NZ. 18 November 2019. Retrieved 16 November 2019.
- "Official Scottish Singles Sales Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 16 November 2019.
- "Official Singles Downloads Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 16 November 2019.
- "Top 40/M Future Releases". All Access Media Group. Archived from the original on 25 November 2019. Retrieved 25 November 2019.
- "Top 40/R Future Releases". All Access Music Group. 27 November 2019. Archived from the original on 27 November 2019. Retrieved 27 November 2019.
- on YouTube