Lomo saltado is a popular, traditional Peruvian dish, a stir fry that typically combines marinated strips of sirloin, or other beef steak, with onions, tomatoes, and other ingredients, served with fried potato slices (french fries) and rice. The dish originated as part of the chifa tradition, the Chinese cuisine of Peru, though its popularity has made it part of the mainstream culture.
The dish is normally prepared by marinating sirloin strips in vinegar, soy sauce and spices, and stir frying these with red onions, parsley, tomatoes, and possibly other ingredients. The use of both potatoes (which originated in Peru) and rice (which originated in Asia) as starches are typical of the cultural blending that the dish represents.  
In his article in the Huffington Post UK, British-Peruvian chef Martin Morales called lomo saltado "one of Peru's most loved dishes" and that this dish "shows the rich fusion of old and new worlds."
According to the 2011 article that was published in the Peruvian newspaper El Comercio, it is believed that lomo saltado could have been originally derived from dishes similar to lomo de vaca and lomo a la chorrillana prior to the introduction of Asian influences.
A 1903 Peruvian cookbook has a dish called lomo saltado, but the description of this dish is very different from what is known today.
- Acosta González, Martín (29 May 2011). "La jugosa historia del lomo saltado, un plato fruto del mestizaje: Tal como lo conocemos hoy, se trata de un plato relativamente joven que vio la luz gracias a la fusión de sabores de la cocina peruana y china" [The juicy story lomo saltado, a dish result of crossbreeding: As we know it today, it is a relatively young dish which was created by the fusion of flavors of Peruvian and Chinese Cuisines]. El Comercio (Peru) (in Spanish).
- "Peruvian Lomo Saltado". Allrecipes. Retrieved 2008-07-26.
- "Lomo Saltado". Peru Mucho Gusto. Retrieved 2009-04-16.
- "Lomo Saltado Peruano" (in Spanish). Comedera.Com. Retrieved 2013-09-24.
- Morales, Martin (May 4, 2013). "Peru's Lomo Saltado on BBC TV: A Homage to Our Jumping Peruvian Beef Stir Fry". Huffington Post UK.
- Ledesma, S.E., ed. (1903). Nuevo Manual de Cocina a la Criolla (in Spanish). p. 18.
|This meat-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|