Lomsdal–Visten National Park
|Lomsdal–Visten National Park|
|Nearest city||Bronnøysund, Mosjøen|
|Area||1,102 km2 (425 sq mi)|
|Established||26 June 2009|
|Governing body||Norwegian Directorate for Nature Management|
Lomsdal–Visten National Park (Norwegian: Lomsdal–Visten nasjonalpark, Southern Sami: Njaarken vaarjelimmiedajve) is a Norwegian national park that was established on 26 June 2009. The park consists of a total protected area of 1,102 square kilometres (425 sq mi). It is located in Nordland county, Norway, and covers parts of the municipalities of Brønnøy, Vevelstad, Grane, and Vefsn.
The landscape is dominated by great diversity and many rivers. There are steep-sided fjords with deciduous woodlands, coniferous forests, mountainous terrains, and alpine peaks. The rich and varied geology was another reason for protecting the area. Karstic terrain with caves, subterranean rivers, arches, and unusual weathering are found here.
Cultural heritage relics have been found that date from the Mesolithic period (8000–9000 years ago) up to the present day. Traces of Sámi culture can be found in the national park dating from the time when the Sámi were hunters and gatherers up to their modern semi-domesticated reindeer husbandry.
Farms that were abandoned due to the Black Death were re-cleared from 1500 to 1800 by ethnic Norwegians who expanded into the Sámi areas. They cleared farms along the fjords, the larger valleys, and far into the mountains. Traces of how they used the area can be seen near the farms and on outlying land.
- Visitors are allowed to pick wild berries and mushrooms.
- Undue noise is prohibited in the national park.
- "Forskrift om Lomsdal-Visten nasjonalpark/Njaarken vaarjelimmiedajve, Brønnøy, Vevelstad, Vefsn og Grane kommuner, Nordland". Norsk Lovtidend (in Norwegian). 2009. Retrieved 23 August 2011.
- Askheim, Svein. "Lomsdal–Visten nasjonalpark". Store norske leksikon (in Norwegian). Oslo: Kunnskapsforlaget. Retrieved 23 August 2011.
- "Lomsdal-Visten: The Treasured Land". Norwegian Directorate for Nature Management. Retrieved 2011-11-03. Cite journal requires
- "About the national park". Lomsdal-Visten Nasjonalpark. Retrieved 2019-06-07.
|This Nordland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to a protected area in Europe is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|