London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art
The main entrance to LAMDA
|Affiliations||Conservatoire of Dance and Drama|
LAMDA's president is Timothy West and its Principal is Joanna Read (who succeeded Peter James in 2010). In recent years, over 98% of LAMDA's stage management and technical theatre graduates have found work in their chosen field within weeks of graduation and the Academy's graduates work regularly at the Royal National Theatre, the Royal Shakespeare Company, Shakespeare's Globe, London's West End and Hollywood as well as on the BBC, HBO and Broadway.It is registered as a company under the name LAMDA Ltd and as a charity under its trading name London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art. There is an associate organisation in America under the name LAMDA in America, Inc., previously known as The American Friends of LAMDA.
LAMDA Examinations are recognised by Ofqual, the regulator in England and its counterparts in Wales and Northern Ireland. In addition, LAMDA accredited examinations at level 3 are recognised by the University and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS) points system.
As an affiliate of the Conservatoire for Dance and Drama, LAMDA receives funding from the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE). This means that eligible UK/EU students are able to access loans to assist with their tuition fees and maintenance costs. In addition, LAMDA and the Conservatoire have a range of scholarships and bursaries available.
The institutions that combined to form LAMDA date from 1861, making the Academy the oldest of its kind in Britain. Providing training for, and examinations in, various musical disciplines was originally the dominant purpose of the institution. However, providing instruction in spoken English quickly became a core area of the Academy’s work.
In the 1880s, LAMDA began offering speech examinations to the public. Since then, these examinations have been refined and developed into a comprehensive system of performance evaluation. LAMDA Examinations has emerged as the largest Speech and Drama Board in the United Kingdom.
The past few years have witnessed important growth for the Academy. A move to a larger and more visible home on the Talgarth Road in West London has enabled LAMDA to further develop the campus and training facilities for its students. Furthermore, in June 2004, the Academy became an affiliate of the Conservatoire for Dance and Drama.
Boards & Honorary Fellows
Board of Trustees
- President: Timothy West CBE FRSA
- Vice-President: Dame Janet Suzman DBE
- Chairman: Luke Rittner
- Vice-Chairman: Harold Sanditen
- Other Board members: Hugh Bullock, James Cane, Philip Carne, Kay Ellen Consolver, Kevin Fitzmaurice, Paul Gismondi, Anthony Gordon-Lennox, Patricia Hodge, Paterson Joseph, Victoria Legge-Bourke LVO, Timothy Oakley, Mark Schnebli, Sue Stapely, Richard Szpiro, Thomas Vaughan.
- Anna Calder-Marshall
- Brian Cox CBE
- Nichola McAuliffe
- Sam Mendes CBE
- Michael Oliver
- Simone Reynolds
- Sir Donald Sinden CBE FRSA
- David Suchet CBE
- Brian Tilston LLAM (Hons)
- Dame Harriet Walter DBE
- Matthew Warchus
- Michael White
- Richard Armitage – (The Hobbit, Hannibal)
- Colin Baker – (Doctor Who, The Brothers)
- Jim Broadbent – (Iris, Hot Fuzz)
- Kim Cattrall – (Sex and the City, Big Trouble in Little China)
- Sam Claflin – (The Hunger Games, Snow White and the Huntsman)
- Dominic Cooper – (Mamma Mia!, Captain America: The First Avenger)
- Brian Cox – (Troy, The Bourne Identity)
- Benedict Cumberbatch – (Sherlock, The Imitation Game)
- James D’Arcy – (Agent Carter, Cloud Atlas)
- Chiwetel Ejiofor – (12 Years a Slave, Children of Men)
- Jason Flemyng – (The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Snatch)
- Tony Goldwyn – (Scandal, Ghost)
- Ginnifer Goodwin – (Once Upon a Time, Big Love)
- Richard Harris – (This Sporting Life, Harry Potter)
- Anthony Head – (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Merlin)
- Edward Herrmann – (Gilmore Girls, The Lost Boys)
- William Hootkins – (Raiders of the Lost Ark, Batman)
- Željko Ivanek – (Argo, Damages)
- Jeffrey Jones – (Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Beetlejuice)
- Stacy Keach – (American History X, Prison Break)
- Rory Kinnear – (James Bond, Penny Dreadful)
- Rose Leslie – (Game of Thrones, Downton Abbey)
- John Lithgow – (3rd Rock from the Sun, Terms of Endearment)
- Malcolm McDowell – (A Clockwork Orange, Halloween)
- Natascha McElhone – (The Truman Show, Californication)
- Stephen Moyer – (True Blood, 88 Minutes)
- David Oyelowo – (Selma, Rise of the Planet of the Apes)
- Alexander Siddig – (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Game of Thrones)
- Donald Sutherland – (M*A*S*H, JFK)
- Ruth Wilson – (Luther, Saving Mr. Banks)
- Philip Winchester (Camelot, Strike Back)
- "LAMDA Appoints a New Principal"
- Lamda Ltd, do-business.net
- London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art, charitiesdirect.com
- LAMDA in America, Inc., LAMDA website.
- "Welcome to LAMDA’s Summer Season". LAMDA website. LAMDA. Retrieved 7 June 2013.