London Buses route 10
|Garage||Stamford Brook (V)|
|Peak vehicle requirement||23|
|Start||Hammersmith bus station|
Hyde Park Corner
Route 10 commenced on 13 August 1988 to replace route 73 between Hammersmith and Hyde Park Corner following the latter being diverted to Victoria. The initial route was between Hammersmith and King's Cross, and was run by the London United division. In April 1989, an allocation was introduced from the London Northern garage at Holloway. Route 10 was extended to the back of Holloway garage via York Way and Brecknock Road. Initially this section did not run during early mornings, late evenings or Sundays, but a Sunday service was later added. Some journeys were then extended to Archway rather than terminating in Tufnell Park. These were then withdrawn, but were reinstated following the withdrawal of local route C12 in 1998.
As part of a restructure of services in the lead up to the introduction of the congestion charging, on 1 February 2003 route 10 was split in two: the route between Archway and Kings Cross, and as far as Marble Arch, was taken over by new route 390, and route 10 shortened to serve only its original route between Hammersmith and King's Cross. Route 390 continued to be operated by Metroline with the AEC Routemasters which had operated route 10, while the new route 10 was operated by First London with Alexander ALX400 bodied Volvo B7TLs.
New Routemasters were introduced on 26 April 2014. The rear platform remains open from Monday to Friday between 06:00 and 19:30 when it is staffed by a conductor. This will cease in September 2016 when conductors are withdrawn.
In 2015, Transport for London consulted on rerouting route 10 to serve Russell Square station. The route was modified on 25 June 2016. London United successfully tendered to retain the route from 28 January 2017 with a peak vehicle requirement of 23.
Route 10 operates via these primary locations:
- Hammersmith bus station for Hammersmith tube stations
- Hammersmith Broadway
- Brook Green
- Kensington Olympia station
- High Street Kensington station
- Kensington Palace
- Royal Albert Hall
- Knightsbridge station
- Hyde Park Corner station
- Marble Arch station
- Oxford Circus station
- Tottenham Court Road station
- British Museum
- Russell Square station
- Euston bus station for Euston station
- British Library
- St Pancras International
- Kings Cross station
- Kings Cross Wharfdale Road / York Way for London Canal Museum
- Blacker, Ken (2007). Routemaster: 1970–2005. 2 (2nd ed.). Harrow Weald: Capital Transport. pp. 96, 165. ISBN 978-1-85414-303-7.
- 2010 Bus Tender Result Transport For London
- Bus routes Archived 18 June 2016 at the Wayback Machine. RATP Dev London
- Press Release Transport For London
- "New Routemaster bus conductors abolished in £10 million cut by Transport for London". ITV News. Retrieved 11 July 2016.
- "Bus service proposal: Routes 7, 10 (and 98 returning to normal routeing)". Transport for London. Retrieved 22 July 2016.
- "Service Changes 25 June to 6 August inclusive" (PDF). Transport for London. Archived from the original on 22 July 2016. Retrieved 22 July 2016.
- "Latest London bus tender results" Coach & Bus Week issue 1249 19 July 2016 page 8
- "10". Transport for London. Retrieved 22 July 2016.