London Buses route 159
|Vehicle||Volvo B7TL 10.1m / Alexander ALX400
VDL DB300 10.4m / Wright Gemini 2
DAF DB250LF 10.2m / Wright Pulsar Gemini
|Peak vehicle requirement||34|
|Length||8 miles (13 km)|
|Journey time||42-81 minutes|
When first introduced, the route was operated by STL-class double-deckers. In 1951, RTs and RTLs replaced the STLs. In June 1970, the RTs were replaced by AEC Routemasters. During the 1990s, London Buses' South London Transport subsidiary operated the route with Routemasters in a unique red and cream livery which was retained after South London was privatised and acquired by the Cowie Group in January 1995.
On 9 December 2005, route 159 was the last route to be converted from Routemaster to low-floor bus operation, with new Alexander ALX400 bodied Volvo B7TL double deckers taking over. Brixton Garage gained the whole service. The route was converted gradually from the start of service on the last day, with the last scheduled Routemaster journey (operated by RM2217) departing Marble Arch at 12:08, arriving at Brixton Garage at 14:03. The final service operated by RM54, terminated at Streatham at 14:07.
Route 159 operates via these primary locations:
- Streatham station for Streatham bus station
- Streatham Hill station
- Brixton station
- Kennington for Oval station
- Lambeth North station
- Westminster Bridge
- Westminster station
- Trafalgar Square for Charing Cross station
- Piccadilly Circus station
- Regent Street
- Oxford Circus station
- Bond Street station
- Marble Arch station
- Aldridge, John (September 2000). "RMs could live till they're 46". Buses (Ian Allan Publishing) (546): 12.
- Routemaster makes final journey BBC News 9 December 2005
- The End London Bus Routes 9 December 2005
- Millar, Alan (February 2006). "Last rites for a London icon". Buses (Ian Allan Publishing) (611): 24–28.
- Major changes to routes 15, N15 & 159 Transport for London 24 August 2010
- Route 159 will no longer serve Paddington London Buses
- Abellio to start running New Routemaster buses with award of contract for Route 159/N159 Abellio 15 June 2015
- Route 159 Map Transport for London
- Media related to London Buses route 159 at Wikimedia Commons