London Buses route 268
|Operator||Arriva The Shires|
|Vehicle||DAF SB120 10.1m / Wright Cadet|
|Peak vehicle requirement||7|
|Start||Golders Green station|
|End||Finchley Road O2 Centre|
|Length||3 miles (4.8 km)|
|Journey time||14-32 minutes|
|Operates||05:10 until 00:15|
Upon being put up for tender, on 31 May 1986 it passed to London Country North West with Mercedes-Benz L608Ds. These were stabled at Scratchwood services on the M1 motorway, with maintenance carried out at the Mercedes dealership in Colindale. London Country later opened its own base in Muswell Hill, where with route 268 was moved, along with routes 153 and C2.
The route was re-tendered, and on 6 June 1989 passed to R&I Coaches, of North Acton and later Harlesden garage, with Optare MetroRider buses used. Route 268 was included in the June 1996 sale of R&I Coaches to MTL London and merged into the London Northern operation, with more Mercedes minbuses used along with Carlyle bodied Dennis Darts.
Route 268 was included in the August 1998 sale of MTL to Metroline. On 21 November 1998, the route was extended from Finchley Road station along Finchley Road to the O2 Centre. Metroline took over MTL's buses, but the operation of route 268 gradually passed to new Plaxton Pointer 2 bodied Dennis Dart SLFs.
Upon being re-tendered, route 268 passed to Arriva The Shires' Watford garage on 10 June 2006. Arriva The Shires retained the route when next tendered, with a new contract commencing on 8 June 2013.
- Golders Green station
- Hampstead station
- Belsize Park
- Swiss Cottage station
- Finchley Road station
- Finchley Road O2 Centre
- Route 268 londonbusroutes.net. Accessed 4 April 2008
- McLachlan, Tom (1995). London Buses 1985-1995: Managing The Change. Venture Publications. p. 104. ISBN 1-898432-74-0.
- History Metroline
- "Route 268 - award announced 07 October 2005". Transport for London. 7 October 2005. Retrieved 1 July 2014.
- Bus tender result Route 268 Transport for London 16 November 2012
- Tender News BusTalk (Go-Ahead London) issue 19 December 2012
- Media related to London Buses route 268 at Wikimedia Commons