London Buses route 394
|Garage||Ash Grove (HK)|
|Vehicle||Dennis Dart SLF 8.8m / Caetano Slimbus
Alexander Dennis Enviro200 Dart 8.9m
|Peak vehicle requirement||10|
|Start||Homerton University Hospital|
|Length||7 miles (11 km)|
|Journey time||29-55 minutes|
|Operates||05:24 until 01:15|
Route 394 originally commenced operating on 15 September 2001 as the Shoreditch Hoppa under a London Service Permit. It was developed to address the lack of public transport running east to west across Shoreditch and funded as part of the New Deal for Communities (NDC). The NDC appointed Hackney Community Transport to run the service following a competitive tendering process.
The service initially ran at a half-hourly frequency between Tolpuddle Street in Islington and Broadway Market. It was operated with two Renault minibuses in a unique blue livery and served several roads with no other bus routes. Passenger numbers rose rapidly to 2,200 per week and Transport for London agreed to integrate the Shoreditch Hoppa into the mainstream London Buses network, with a route number and inclusion on network maps.
Transport for London awarded HCT Group subsidiary CT Plus a contract to operate route 394 from 3 May 2003. Upon being re-tendered, CT Plus retained the route with a new contract commencing on 1 May 2010. A the same time, the route was extended to Homerton and the vehicles on the route changed to low-floor Dennis Dart SLFs. The frequency of the route was increased; from initially using just two vehicles, it now requires 10 buses.
Route 394 operates via these primary locations:
- Homerton University Hospital
- Hackney Central station
- Broadway Market
- Haggerston Park
- Shoreditch Park
- Angel station
- Islington Tolpuddle Street
- Making the Connections: Final Report on Transport and Social Exclusion, report by Social Exclusion Unit of HM Government, February 2003
- 1997 - 2003 on HCT Group website, retrieved 2009-10-18
- Aldridge, John (October 2001). "Hackney's Harriers herald East End innovation". Buses (Ian Allan Publishing) (559): 13.
- Our red bus routes on HCT Group website, retrieved 2009-10-09
- Bus tender results Route 394 Transport for London 29 October 2009
- Aldridge, John (January 2011). "In London: North of the Thames, hail-&-ride is alive and thriving". Buses (Ian Allan Publishing) (670): 25.
- Irvine, Chris (27 October 2009). "Baby born on London bus named Dennis after manufacturer". Daily Telegraph.
- Route 394 Map Transport for London
Media related to London Buses route 394 at Wikimedia Commons