London Buses route 436
|Garage||New Cross (NX)|
|Vehicle||Alexander Dennis Enviro400H 10.2m
Alexander Dennis Enviro400 10.2m
|Peak vehicle requirement||32|
|Night-time||Night Bus N136|
|Length||9 miles (14 km)|
|Journey time||49–87 minutes|
|Operates||04:40 until 01:29|
Route 436 was introduced on 8 February 2003 when route 36 Queen's Park to Lewisham was curtailed to New Cross Gate. These changes were made in preparation for the introduction of the London congestion charge. Operated by London Central's New Cross garage, it was the third route in London (after Red Arrow routes 507 and 521) to be operated by articulated buses.
In March 2004 a bus on 436 caught fire on Park Lane, this was the third fire in as many months and the whole Mercedes-Benz O530G fleet, was subsequently withdrawn, and route 436 was suspended. Extra buses were run on route 36, with limited services operated on route 436 with double-deck buses. After a short period time modifications were made to the O530G fleet.
On 19 November 2011, route 436 was retained by London Central and was converted to double deck operation with Alexander Dennis Enviro400Hs and Alexander Dennis Enviro400s as part of the Mayor of London's policy to replace the O530Gs.
Route 436 operates via these primary locations:
- Lewisham Lewisham Centre
- Lewisham station
- New Cross station
- New Cross Gate station
- Queens Road Peckham station
- Peckham High Road
- Camberwell Green
- Oval station
- Vauxhall bus station for Vauxhall station
- Vauxhall Bridge
- Bessborough Gardens for Pimlico station
- Victoria bus station for Victoria station
- Hyde Park Corner station
- Marble Arch station
- Edgware Road station
- Paddington station Eastbourne Terrace
- Blacker, Ken (2007). Routemaster: 1970–2005 2 (2nd ed.). Harrow Weald, Middlesex: Capital Transport. p. 166. ISBN 978-1-85414-303-7.
- Aldridge, John (May 2004). "The week the Citaros died". Buses (Ian Allan Publishing) (590): 12–13.
- "Bendy-buses withdrawn after fires". BBC News. 24 March 2004.
- Next set of bendy buses to leave London Transport for London 28 August 2009
- Route 436 Map Transport for London
- Media related to London Buses route 436 at Wikimedia Commons