London Buses route 507
|Vehicle||Mercedes-Benz O530 Citaro 12.0m
BYD electric bus 12.0m
Irizar i2e electric bus 12.0m
|Via||St Thomas' Hospital
|End||Victoria bus station|
Red Arrow route 507 commenced operating on 7 September 1968 as part of the Red Arrow network of flat fare bus routes aimed at commuters in Central London linking some of the capital's main railway termini.
During late 2003, early 2004, a series of onboard fires on Mercedes-Benz O530Gs led to withdrawal of the entire fleet, while Mercedes-Benz made some modifications. During this period limited services operated using a variety of different buses on route 507, including double-deckers.
Another criticism of articulated buses was the low number of seats, with only 49 per vehicle. A standard rigid Citaro has 44 seats, however the new ones for route 507 have just 21, with room supposedly for up to 76 standees, leading to criticism the new buses were "cattle trucks" and even more crowded than the buses they replaced.
Route 507 operates via these primary locations:
- Waterloo station Cab Road
- County Hall
- St Thomas' Hospital
- Lambeth Palace
- Lambeth Bridge
- Westminster Cathedral
- Victoria bus station for Victoria station
- Day, John (1973). The Story of the London Bus. London Regional Transport. ISBN 9780853290377.
- Graeme Bruce, J; Curtis, Colin (1977). The London Motor Bus: Its Origins and Development. London Transport. p. 116. ISBN 0853290830.
- "Bendy-buses withdrawn after fires". BBC. 2004-03-24. Retrieved 2009-09-05.
- "The beginning of the end for the bendy bus". Greater London Authority press release. 2008-12-05. Retrieved 2009-09-05.
- "Passengers call for the return of the bendy bus". The London Paper. 2009-07-31. Retrieved 2009-09-05.
- Electric buses hit London roads The Guardian 19 December 2013
- London routes now served by BYD ebuses China Daily 23 December 2013
- More than 50 all electric buses to enter service in London Transport for London 15 July 2015
- BYD and ADL to build 51 electric buses for Go Ahead London Bus & Coach Professional 30 July 2015
- Route 507 Map Transport for London
- Media related to London Buses route 507 at Wikimedia Commons