London Buses route 521
Mandela Way (MW)
|Vehicle||Mercedes-Benz O530 Citaro
BYD electric bus / Alexander Dennis Enviro 200
St Paul's station
|End||London Bridge station|
During late 2003, early 2004, a series of onboard fires on Mercedes-Benz O530Gs led to withdrawal of the entire fleet, while Mercedes-Benz made some modifications. During this period limited services operated using a variety of different buses on route 521.
Another criticism of articulated buses was the low number of seats, with only 49 per vehicle. A standard rigid Citaro has 44 seats, however the new ones for route 521 have just 21, with room supposedly for up to 76 standers, leading to criticism the new buses were "cattle trucks" and even more crowded than the buses they replaced.
In December 2013, two trial BYD electric buses were introduced. In September 2016, Alexander Dennis Enviro 200 bodied BYD electric buses began to operate the route. In September 2016, it was announced that buses on the route would receive new digital route displays and twelve seats with USB sockets.
Route 521 operates via these primary locations:
- Waterloo station
- Waterloo Bridge
- Holborn station
- Chancery Lane station
- Holborn Circus
- City Thameslink station
- St Paul's station
- Mansion House station
- Cannon Street station
- Monument station
- London Bridge
- London Bridge bus station for London Bridge station
- Dryhurst, Michael (2016). London's Red Arrow Buses. Newcastle: Bowden Publishing. p. 10.
- London transport - with a twist BBC News 5 June 2002
- "Bendy-buses withdrawn after fires". BBC News. 2004-03-24. Retrieved 2009-09-05.
- "The beginning of the end for the bendy bus". Greater London Authority press release. 2008-12-05. Archived from the original on December 7, 2008. Retrieved 2009-09-05.
- "Passengers call for the return of the bendy bus". The London Paper. 2009-07-31. Retrieved 2009-09-05.
- Electric buses hit London roads The Guardian 19 December 2013
- London routes now served by BYD ebuses China Daily 23 December 2013
- More than 50 all electric buses to enter service in London Transport for London 15 July 2015
- BYD and ADL to build 51 electric buses for Go Ahead London Bus & Coach Professional 30 July 2015
- Mayor unveils first fully electric bus routes for central London Transport for London 9 September 2016
- "Debut for electrics and StreetDecks" Buses Magazine issue 739 October 2016 page 22
- Powell, Tom (12 September 2016). "London buses introduce new 'Tube map-style' digital route displays". Evening Standard. Retrieved 13 September 2016.
- Eleftheriou-Smith, Loulla-Mae (13 September 2016). "Transport for London's new electric buses will let passengers charge their phones". The Independent. Retrieved 13 September 2016.
- Thompson, Rachel (12 September 2016). "You'll soon be able to charge your phone on London's new electric buses". Mashable. Retrieved 13 September 2016.
- Route 521 Map Transport for London