London Buses route 78
|Garage||Ash Grove (AE)|
|Vehicle||Alexander Dennis Enviro400H City 10.4m|
In December 1952, a number 78 double-decker bus was crossing Tower Bridge. At that time, the gateman would ring a warning bell and close the gates when the bridge was clear before the watchman ordered the raising of the bridge. The process failed while a relief watchman was on duty. The bus was near the edge of the south bascule when it started to rise; driver Albert Gunter made a split-second decision to accelerate the bus, clearing a 1.8 m (6 ft) drop onto the north bascule, which had not started to rise. The conductor broke his leg, and twelve of the twenty passengers aboard received minor injuries. The driver was later rewarded with a £10 bonus.
Following the November 2015 tender, new Alexander Dennis Enviro400H City vehicles were ordered with the expectation that they would enter service in November 2015. The first buses of this type to operate in London, the Alexander Dennis Enviro400H City is visually styled on the New Routemaster and Alexander Dennis Enviro400 MMC, suggested to be a cost effective alternative to the New Routemaster for use in the London suburbs. The first of these entered service on 7 December 2015.
Route 78 operates via these primary locations:
- Shoreditch Calvert Avenue
- Shoreditch High Street station
- Liverpool Street station
- Aldgate station
- Tower Gateway station
- Tower of London
- Tower Bridge
- City Hall
- Peckham High Street
- Peckham Rye station
- Nunhead St Mary's Road
- "Arriva London introduces stylish new enviro friendly buses on Route 78". Arriva London. 10 December 2015.
- Route 78 Timetable Transport for London
- Foreign News: The Jumping Bus in Time Magazine, 12 January 1953; online at http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,817691,00.html
- Consultation on proposed changes to terminal arrangements on route 78 Transport for London December 2011
- Transport for London (2003-05-08). "Bus tender results - Transport for London". Tfl.gov.uk. Retrieved 2015-12-08.
- Transport for London (2010-05-14). "Bus tender results - Transport for London". Tfl.gov.uk. Retrieved 2015-12-08.
- Transport for London (2015-03-31). "Bus tender results - Transport for London". Tfl.gov.uk. Retrieved 2015-12-08.
- "Route 78 finally gets double deck buses". London SE1. 29 March 2011.
- "Arriva London". Arriva London. Retrieved 2015-12-08.
- "ADL gets the London look- Route-one.net". Route-One.net. Retrieved 8 December 2015.
- "BUSES Magazine, Issue 730 (January 2016)". BUSES Magazine. 19 December 2015. p. 66.
- Route 78 Map Transport for London
- Media related to London Buses route 78 at Wikimedia Commons