London Buses route 8
|Garage||Bow (BW) |
|Vehicle||New Routemaster |
|Night-time||Night Bus N8|
|End||Tottenham Court Road station
Oxford Circus †
On 2 November 1908, the bus route number 8 was allocated to a previously un-numbered route operating between the Bush Hotel in Shepherds Bush and Seven Kings High Road in Ilford. On 20 June 1912, routes 8 and 25 exchanged eastern ends at Bank, so that from then on route 8 operated between Willesden and Old Ford. This situation continued, apart from various westward extensions of the route to Wembley and Alperton, until 18 July 1992. At that time route 8 again was re-routed over route 25, and now operated from Victoria bus station to Bow Church via Old Ford, the same routing as the 1912 version of route 25. The western end of the route beyond Bond Street became 98.
On 3 January 1933, AEC Regent STL buses were used from Clay Hall garage. In May 1949, Leyland Titan RTWs were introduced on route 8. In January 1958, the third prototype AEC Routemaster began operation on route 8 between Willesdan and Old Ford. On 6 June 1959, the first three production Routemasters to enter service in London (RM5, RM7 and RM24) debuted on route 8 from Willesden garage.
On 27 June 2009, route 8 was curtailed west of Oxford Circus. Route C2 was extended to Victoria station as a replacement. The changes were part of Transport for London's commitment to the Mayor of London to reduce the bus flow in Oxford Street by 10% in each of 2009 and 2010.
Route 8 operates via these primary locations:
- Bow Church
- Roman Road Market
- Old Ford Parnell Road
- Bethnal Green station
- Brick Lane
- Shoreditch High Street station
- Liverpool Street station
- Bank station
- St Paul's station
- City Thameslink station
- Holborn Circus
- Chancery Lane station
- Holborn station
- Tottenham Court Road station
- David A. Ruddom (2007), Motor Omnibus Routes in London, 2, p. 7, ISBN 978-0-901307-69-9
- Blacker, Ken (2007). Routemaster: 1970–2005. 2 (2nd ed.). Harrow Weald: Capital Transport. pp. 118, 168. ISBN 978-1-85414-303-7.
- Reed, John (2000). London Buses: A Brief History. Capital Transport Publishing. p. 35. ISBN 9781854142337.
- Graeme Bruce, J; Curtis, Colin (1977). The London Motor Bus: Its Origins and Development. London Transport. p. 93. ISBN 0853290830.
- Graeme Bruce, J; Curtis, Colin (1977). The London Motor Bus: Its Origins and Development. London Transport. p. 99. ISBN 0853290830.
- Day, John (1973). The Story of the London Bus: London and its buses from the horse bus to the present day. London Transport. p. 104. ISBN 9780853290377.
- "London Buses announces changes to bus routes 8, N8 and C2". Transport for London. 2009-06-23. Retrieved 2010-11-11.
- "Streets ahead: Relieving congestion on Oxford Street, Regent Street and Bond Street" (PDF). London Assembly Transport Committee. 4 February 2010. Retrieved 2010-05-09. See Appendix 1.
- Update on Bus Service Changes in Oxford Street Transport for London 9 November 2010
- 2004 Bus Tender Result Transport For London
- 2009 Bus Tender Result Transport For London
- 2014 Bus Tender Result Transport For London
- Maxey, David (2015). Red All Over, The London Bus Review of 2014. Visions International. pp. 68–69.
- Press Release Transport For London
- Route Map Transport for London
- Media related to London Buses route 8 at Wikimedia Commons