London Buses route 94
|Vehicle||Volvo B5LH 10.5m / Wright Eclipse Gemini 3
Alexander Dennis Enviro400H 10.1m
Route 94 commenced operating on 22 September 1990 to replace the withdrawn section of route 88 between Acton Green and Oxford Circus, it then ran parallel to route 88 to Trafalgar Square (Sundays only). On 13 July 1991 it was diverted to East Acton DuCane Road and the service level increased following the truncation of route 12 west of Shepherd's Bush. At the same time it was extended at all times to Trafalgar Square.
Route 94 gained a night service in the form of N94 in July 1999. It was the first night bus and was introduced by the General.
On 24 January 2004, route 94 was converted to one man operation with the AEC Routemasters replaced by Alexander ALX400 bodied Dennis Trident 2s. Twenty Alexander Dennis Enviro400Hs entered service on the route in late 2010.
Route 94 was featured on the BBC Radio 4 program Today in December 2003 as part of a story by guest editor Gillian Reynolds on the withdrawal of the Routemaster. It also appeared on the front of the annual Britain's Buses calendar for the same year.
Route 94 operates via these primary locations:
- Acton Green Duke of Sussex
- The Avenue for Turnham Green station
- Goldhawk Road station
- Shepherd's Bush stations
- Holland Park station
- Notting Hill Gate station
- Queensway station
- Lancaster Terrace for Lancaster Gate station
- Marble Arch station
- Bond Street station
- Oxford Circus station
- Regent Street
- Piccadilly Circus station
- Piccadilly Circus Charles II Street
- Blacker, Ken (2007). Routemaster: 1970–2005. 2 (2nd ed.). Harrow Weald: Capital Transport. pp. 116, 167, 168. ISBN 978-1-85414-303-7.
- Reed, John (2000). London Buses: A Brief History. Capital Transport Publishing. p. 80. ISBN 9781854142337.
- Aldridge, John (February 2011). "Hybrids and artic replacements in tender awards bonanza". Buses Magazine. Ian Allan Publishing (671): 18–19.
- My day with the entire Beeb at my disposal Daily Telegraph
- Route 94 Map Transport for London