London Central Elementary High School
London Central Elementary High School was a United States Department of Defense Dependents School (DoDDS) in the Isles District of DoDDS Europe for pupils in kindergarten through grade 12. It operated from 1951 until 2007.
London Central High School (commonly known as "LCHS" or just "Central") was established in 1951 at Bushy Park, in south west London, for students in grades 7 through 12. Subsequent base closures led to two moves: to Bushey Hall in 1962, and to RAF Daws Hill, its final location, in 1971.
For the 2006–2007 school year, LCHS merged with West Ruislip Elementary School, which had closed in the spring of 2006. Consequently, it accommodated grades K-12 and "elementary" was added to the school's name. At the time of its closing, LCEHS was the last remaining DoDDS school with dormitories.
The USNAVEUR Headquarters were relocated from London to Naples, Italy in 2007. As a result, RAF Daws Hill, along with other naval installations in the area, was scaled down and eventually closed. LCHS staged a formal closing ceremony on May 15, 2007 and locked its doors for the last time in June 2007, with a handover of keys back to the US Navy/RAF on 30 June. The website was completely removed in mid-June 2014.
- Charles Baker, actor
- Gerry Beckley, co-founder of the band America
- Bo Bice, singer
- Major General Buford Blount III
- Dewey Bunnell, co-founder of the band America
- Major General Darryl W. Burke
- Robert Davenport, author
- Jerry Donahue, guitarist and producer
- Charles Easley, Mississippi Supreme Court Judge
- William Frederick Fisher, NASA astronaut and physician
- April Grace, actress
- Megan McArthur, NASA astronaut and oceanographer
- Paul Miller, Canadian actor
- Dan Peek, co-founder of the band America
- Phil Rosenthal, composer, singer, and songwriter
- Tom Slack, singer, songwriter, keyboardist and producer
- Dale Van Atta, columnist
- Lieutenant General Thomas C. Waskow
A book about London Central High School entitled From the Faculty Lounge was published in 2008. It features memories of the school in all three of its locations from around 35 former principals, teachers and staff.
- Murray, Ben (6 September 2006). "London Central school to be shut down at end of academic year". Stars and Stripes. Retrieved 25 July 2016.
- Parsons, Dorie (2012). "Short Biographies of Famous Brats (D-F)". American Overseas Schools Historical Society. Archived from the original on 3 December 2013. Retrieved 25 July 2016.
- "Lieutenant General Thomas C. Waskow". Air Force Link. 2002. Archived from the original on 19 February 2004. Retrieved 25 July 2016.
- Kelly, Sean (2008). From the Faculty Lounge: Memories of London Central High School. Vox Pop, Inc. ISBN 978-1-59899-101-7.