London England Temple
|London England Temple|
|Dedication||7 September 1958
David O. McKay
|Site||32 acres (12.9 hectares)|
|Floor area||42,775 sq ft (3,974 m2)|
|Height||190 ft (58 m)|
|Preceded by||Hamilton New Zealand Temple|
|Followed by||Oakland California Temple|
|Official website • News & images|
Building of the temple began on 27 August 1955, and the temple was dedicated on 7 September 1958. Over 76,000 people toured the building during the public open house before it was dedicated. It was the first LDS temple to be built in the United Kingdom. Its construction was part of a growth in the number of temples, led by David O. McKay, who performed the dedication.
After thirty-two years, the temple was closed for remodeling and refurbishing. An additional 8,500 square feet (790 m2) were added, as well as a fourth floor. In October 1992, Gordon B. Hinckley rededicated the London England Temple, after a two-week public open house. A second British temple was built in 1998 in Chorley, Lancashire.
A statue of the angel Moroni was placed atop the temple at the conclusion of the Jubilee Celebration. Included in the Jubilee project was the restoring the Manor House and the visitors center, adding new mission offices to the temple site and renovating the accommodation center for temple patrons.
The temple has a total of 42,775 square feet (3,974 m2), four ordinance rooms, and seven sealing rooms. It is faced with white Portland limestone with a green copper spire. Like other LDS temples, a temple recommend is required for entry.
- Comparison of temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- List of temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- List of temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints by geographic region
- List of places of worship in Tandridge (district)
- Temple architecture (Latter-day Saints)
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in England
- "London's Mormon Temple", TIME, 15 September 1958, archived from the original on 10 May 2007, retrieved 27 July 2007,
The crowds of visitors (76,324 by head count)
- Swinton, Heidi (19 December 2008). "Angel Moroni takes flight to London Temple". Church News. Retrieved 8 October 2012.
- Avant, Gerry, ed. (2006). Deseret Morning News 2007 Church Almanac. Salt Lake City: Deseret Morning News.[full citation needed]
Angel Moroni statue on spire
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to London England Temple.|
- Official London England Temple page
- Official LDS UK London England Temple page
- London England Temple page at LDSChurchTemples.com
- Pictures of the London Temple at lds-images.com
- video of Angel Moroni statue being placed on spire by helicopter, December 2008, YouTube