Lone Star, Kansas
|Lone Star, Kansas|
Lone Star Church of the Brethren
|Elevation||879 ft (268 m)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||479512|
Lone Star is an unincorporated community in Douglas County, in the U.S. state of Kansas. It is 7 miles (11 km) southwest of Lawrence. Lone Star was firmly established in 1897, after the first settlers had arrived in 1854. The area had a post office established under "Bond" from 1875 until 1899 when the name was changed to Lone Star. The post office closed in 1953. Lone Star was named from the fact someone saw a star in the sky while a group was trying to think of a suitable name for the community, according to local history.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. October 25, 2007. Retrieved January 31, 2008.
- Parker, Martha; Laird, Betty (1976). Soil of Our Souls. Parker-Laird Enterprises.
- "Post Offices". Kansas Historical Society. Retrieved January 24, 2018.
- Carpenter, Tim (November 28, 1997). "What's in a Name? Key Elements of Area History". Lawrence Journal-World. p. 3B. Retrieved April 28, 2015.
- "Lone Star Lake Park". DouglasCountyKS.org. Retrieved January 24, 2018.