Lone Star College–University Park
|Affiliations||Lone Star College System|
The campus serves northwest Harris County. The center opened its doors in January 2010 with limited degree programs and courses offered by the University of Houston (UH) and the University of Houston–Downtown (UHD), both of which are separate and distinct degree-granting institutions. The campus includes a conference center, which will be used for Lone Star Corporate College training and community meetings; a 900-seat, fully equipped cafeteria; and a fitness center.
Lone Star had purchased the facility from Hewlett Packard (HP) in 2010. In August 2011 Lone Star College announced that it was demolishing two former HP buildings on the campus, at the intersection of Texas State Highway 249 and Louetta Road. The agency said that it would use implosion rather than traditional wrecking ball demolition. The implosion occurred on September 18, 2011, and the land formerly occupied by the buildings will be used as green space.
In 2018, the University Park campus opened its new $15.4 million Center for Science & Innovation. It was officially dedicated on May 2, 2018. The building is a three-story, 50,000 square feet with 12 science labs, and indoor 3D geology teaching wall, and third floor observation deck, and a "Science HotSpot" Learning Commons.
The campus is currently working on a new $23.7 million building for the performing and visual arts.
- "LSCS purchases center core of HP north campus Archived 2010-05-27 at the Wayback Machine." Lone Star College. May 1, 2009. Retrieved on August 29, 2011.
- http://wwwappsdstc.lonestar.edu/chancellor/August2009_text.html#purchase New LSC-University Center features
- "Lone Star campus to raze former HP buildings." Houston Business Journal. Monday August 29, 2011. Retrieved on August 29, 2011.
- "Lone Star College plans demolition to create ‘green’ space." The Champions Sun. Monday August 29, 2011. Retrieved on August 31, 2011.
- "Science comes into focus at $15.4 million Lone Star College center". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved 2018-06-30.
- "Lone Star College plans new $23 million arts building for University Park campus". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved 2018-06-30.