Lonely Hearts (1982 film)
|Directed by||Paul Cox|
|Produced by||John B. Murray|
|Written by||Paul Cox
|Music by||Norman Kaye|
|Edited by||Tim Lewis|
|Distributed by||Umbrella Entertainment|
A middle-aged man, Peter, goes to a dating agency in search of a companion. He is introduced to a shy bank clerk Patricia.
- Wendy Hughes as Patricia Curnow
- Norman Kaye as Peter Thompson
- Jon Finlayson as George
- Julia Blake as Pamela
- Jonathan Hardy as Bruce
- Irene Inescort as Patricia's mother
- Vic Gordon as Patricia's father
- Ted Grove-Rogers as Peter's father
Paul Cox wrote the first two drafts, then Phillip Adams proposed the movie be the first of four films made by the Adams-Packer company. John Clarke was brought in to co-write and John Murray became producer. Cox was paid $30,000 which he says was the first payment he ever received for making a film.
The film was shot over six weeks with two weeks for rehearsal.
The film was extremely well received and screened widely overseas, establishing Cox's reputation.
Bob Ellis later argued that the movie was Cox's best because more time and care was put into it with less improvisation. "It had a producer, a director, a script editor, you know, the usual apparatus and, of course, it's a full and wonderful film. His other ones are like brief, infinitely prolonged screams or sonatas or something..."
Lonely Hearts was released on DVD by Umbrella Entertainment in August 2007. The DVD is compatible with all region codes and includes special features such as the theatrical trailer and interviews with Paul Cox, John Clarke And Wendy Hughes.
- David Stratton, The Avocado Plantation: Boom and Bust in the Australian Film Industry, Pan MacMillan, 1990 p94-95
- IMDb awards
- Richard Brennan, "Wendy Hughes", Cinema Papers, October 1982 p429-432
- Interview with Bob Ellis, 13 August 1996 accessed 14 October 2012
- "Umbrella Entertainment". Archived from the original on 16 June 2013. Retrieved 15 May 2013.
- Murray, Scott, ed. (1994). Australian Cinema. St.Leonards, NSW.: Allen & Unwin/AFC. p. 267. ISBN 1-86373-311-6.
- Lonely Hearts on Internet Movie Database
- Lonely Hearts at the Australian screen
- Lonely Hearts at Oz Movies
- NFSA info
|This 1980s drama film–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to an Australian film of the 1980s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|