Long Beach Police Department (New York)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Long Beach Police Department|
Seal of the Long Beach Police Department
|Legal personality||Governmental: Government agency|
|Operations jurisdiction*||City of Long Beach in the state of New York, USA|
|Legal jurisdiction||Long Beach, New York|
|Headquarters||Long Beach, New York|
|Agency executive||Michael Tagney, Police Commissioner|
|* Divisional agency: Division of the country, over which the agency has usual operational jurisdiction.|
Long Beach Police Department (New York) is the primary law enforcement agency for the City of Long Beach on the South Shore of Long Island. Established in 1911, it has approximately 68 sworn members. LBPD Headquarters is located at One West Chester Street, across from the Long Beach Fire Department. The Police Commissioner is Michael Tangney.
The Long Beach Police Department (LBPD) has been serving Long Beach, New York since 1911. The Department frequently works together with the nearby Nassau County Police Department. The Department originally started with 36 police officers, who were issued six-shot revolvers. Now, the LBPD has state-of-the-art equipment, including non-lethal weapons.
The City of Long Beach, a community of more than 35,000 residents, has been served since 1911 by the Long Beach Police Department. Commissioner Michael Tangney leads the Department. In addition to the Uniformed Patrol Force, the Department has the following specialized units: Detective Division, Narcotics Task Force, Street Crimes Unit, Traffic Division, Motorcycle Unit and Identification Division.
The Department employs Bicycle Patrols on the Boardwalk and for major events such as races or bike tours and Four Wheel Drive vehicle's patrol on the beach.
The Long Beach Police Department also has an Auxiliary Unit, where members, who are certified in CPR/AED assist with parade crowd control, bike patrols, beach and boardwalk patrols, as well as school patrols. Members serve as the "Eyes and Ears of the Long Beach Police Department", and carry a baton, handcuffs, pepper spray, a flashlight, and a radio. The Commissioner of the LBAPD is Dennis Verzi.
During the busy summer months, Special Officers are recruited from criminal justice programs at local colleges to assist with crowd control and enforcement at the Ocean Beach Park and other areas.
- List of law enforcement agencies in New York
- List of Long Island law enforcement agencies
- Long Beach, New York
- "Long Beach Police Department - New York". Lbpd.com. Retrieved 2012-09-25.
- "Michael Tangney Named Police Commissioner - News In Our City - The City of Long Beach, New York". Longbeachny.org. Retrieved 2012-09-25.
- "LBPD Puts Segways on Patrol". Retrieved 2012-10-04.
- "Newsday". Retrieved 2012-09-30. (subscription required)
- Long Beach Police Department. "Long Beach Police Department—Long Beach Patch—Patch.com". Longbeach.patch.com. Retrieved 2012-09-25.
- "In early January of 2010 the Long Beach Police Department expanded its ranks with the hiring of six new police recruits, all products of Long Beach" (PDF). Retrieved 2012-09-25.
- "Long Beach Auxiliary Police Department". LBAPD.com. Retrieved 2012-09-25.