Long Branch High School
|Long Branch High School|
|404 Indiana Ave
Long Branch, NJ 07740
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Long Branch Public Schools|
|Principal||Vincent J. Muscillo (Lead Principal)
James H. Brown, Jr. (School of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics)
Kristen E. Ferrara (School of Visual and Performing Arts)
Frank Riley (School of Leadership)
Carmen Vega (Alternative Program Academy)
|Faculty||115.0 (on FTE basis)|
|Grades||9 - 12|
|Enrollment||1,155 (as of 2012-13)|
|Student to teacher ratio||10.04:1|
|Color(s)||Forest Green and White|
|Athletics conference||Shore Conference|
|Team name||Green Wave|
|Rivals||Neptune High School, Shore Regional High School, Red Bank Regional High School|
Long Branch High School is a comprehensive, four-year community public high school that serves students in ninth through twelfth grades in the city of Long Branch, in Monmouth County, New Jersey, United States, operating as part of the Long Branch Public Schools. LBPS, one of 31 special-needs Abbott districts in the state, serves the city of Long Branch. The school has been accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Secondary Schools since 1928.
As of the 2012-13 school year, the school had an enrollment of 1,155 students and 115.0 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 10.04:1. There were 590 students (51.1% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 81 (7.0% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 228th-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 339 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2014 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", using a new ranking methodology. The school had been ranked 167th in the state of 328 schools in 2012, after being ranked 206th in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 246th in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 290th in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which surveyed 316 schools across the state.
The Long Branch High School Green Wave compete in the Shore Conference, an athletic conference made up of private and public high schools centered at the Northern Jersey Shore. All schools in this conference are located within Monmouth County and Ocean County. The conference operates under the jurisdiction of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). With 820 students in grades 10-12, the school was classified by the NJSIAA for the 2014-15 school year as Central Jersey, Group III for most athletic competition purposes, which included schools with an enrollment of 776 to 1,073 students in that grade range.
The school wrestling team won the 2008 Group II team state championship, its first ever, finishing the season with a perfect record of 26-0.
Core members of the school's administration are:
- Vincent J. Muscillo, Lead Principal
- James H. Brown, Jr., Academy Principal of The School of Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
- Kristen E. Ferrara, Administrator/Principal of the School of Visual and Performing Arts
- Frank Riley, Administrator/Principal of the School of Leadership
- Carmen Vega - Principal, Alternative Program Academy
- Vinny Browne, Democratic Party candidate for the United States House of Representatives in the 2010 special election for Hawaii's 1st congressional district.
- Sam Mills (1959-2005), former professional football player for the NFL.
- Robert Pinsky (born 1940) Poet Laureate Consultant in Poetry to the Library of Congress from 1997 to 2000.
- Yvonne Thornton (born 1947), physician and best-selling author.
- Clinton Wheeler (born 1959), former professional basketball player.
- School Data for Long Branch High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed March 26, 2015.
- Abbott Districts, New Jersey Department of Education, backed up by the Internet Archive as of May 15, 2009. Accessed September 6, 2011.
- Long Branch High School, Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Secondary Schools, backed up by the Internet Archive as of April 24, 2012. Accessed March 26, 2015.
- Staff. "Top Schools Alphabetical List 2014", New Jersey Monthly, September 2, 2014. Accessed September 5, 2014.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed December 2, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed April 4, 2011.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- School Info, Shore Conference. Accessed March 9, 2008.
- League Memberships – 2014-2015, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed November 18, 2014.
- 2014-2015 Public Schools Group Classification: ShopRite Cup–Basketball–Baseball–Softball for Central Jersey, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of July 8, 2014. Accessed November 18, 2014.
- Adelizzi, Joe. "DAN GEORGE, Long Branch, wrestling", Asbury Park Press, March 29, 2008. Accessed August 14, 2008. "George was the driving force behind a Long Branch team that finished the year undefeated and won four championships, including the NJSIAA Group II championship and the Shore Conference Tournament title. Long Branch, which won its first state group team championship; its first sectional title and its first SCT championship, earned the No. 1 ranking in the final Asbury Park Press Top 10 and was ranked No. 2 in the final Gannett New Jersey Top 20."
- 2007 Football - Central, Group III, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed August 14, 2008.
- 2014-2015 Student Handbook, Long Branch High School. Accessed November 18, 2014.
- Home page, Long Branch High School. Accessed October 4, 2011.
- School of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics - Contact / Locate Us, Long Branch High School. Accessed November 18, 2014.
- School of Visual and Performing Arts - Contact / Locate Us, Long Branch High School. Accessed November 18, 2014.
- School of Leadership - Contact / Locate Us, Long Branch High School. Accessed November 18, 2014.
- Hawaii 2010 Special Election Candidate Report (PDF), 2010
- Sam Mills, database Football. Accessed October 25, 2007.
- Smith, Timothy W. "Mills at 37: The Little Linebacker Who Could", The New York Times, January 9, 1997. Accessed October 25, 2007. "Going back to the Long Branch playgrounds, to Long Branch High School, to Montclair (N.J.) State College, to the Philadelphia Stars of the United States Football League, to the New Orleans Saints to the Panthers, not many people have been able to knock Sam Mills down."
- D'Amato, Anthony. "Jersey: 'The Most American State?' - What does a three-term United States Poet Laureate have to say about growing up in New Jersey? Find out in this month's Q & A with Robert Pinsky.", New Jersey Monthly, May 7, 2010. Accessed September 6, 2011. "My aunts and uncles and cousins and parents all attended Long Branch High School, as did my brother and I."
- Staff. "Clip: Q&A with Yvonne Thornton", CNN, March 6, 2012. Accessed November 18, 2014. "Brian Lamb: Go back to the beginning, your whole college. Where did you graduate from high school? Yvonne S. Thornton M.D.: I graduated from Long Branch High School."
- Clinton Wheeler, database Basketball. Accessed October 1, 2007.
- Long Branch High School
- Long Branch Public Schools
- Long Branch Public Schools's 2012–13 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- School Data for the Long Branch Public Schools, National Center for Education Statistics
- DigitalSports Long Branch Homepage