This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2020)
|Alternative names||Cream stick, filled stick, chocolate bar, maple bar|
|Main ingredients||Dough, and glaze or icing|
|Other information||May be called an "éclair", but has yeast-risen dough|
The Long John is a bar-shaped, yeast risen doughnut either coated entirely with glaze or top-coated with cake icing. They may be filled with custard or creme. The term Long John is used in the Midwestern U.S. and Canada, and has been used in Texas.
In other parts of the United States and Canada, such as the Mid-Atlantic and Central Canada, Long Johns are sometimes marketed as "éclairs"; the two pastries look similar but are created with different types of dough (steam-puffed vs. yeast-risen) and sometimes different fillings (the éclair may have chiboust cream). The éclair has (usually chocolate) fondant icing.
On the American West Coast and British Columbia, Long Johns are called bars or bar doughnuts, such as the maple bar and the chocolate bar (depending on the frosting). Filled Long Johns are called filled bars, or filled bar doughnuts. For example, an unfilled (or even custard-filled) Long John with maple-flavored icing is called a maple bar in California. They may also be topped with chopped bacon and called a maple bacon bar.
Some parts of the American Midwest also call this type of pastry a finger doughnut or cream stick when filled.
- List of doughnut varieties
- List of breakfast foods
- List of foods made from maple
- Boston cream doughnut, the round cream filled donut, with chocolate
- Cruller, the German American rectangular donut with a twisted shape
- Éclair (pastry)
- Fritter, another doughnut-like pastry
- Kuban, Adam (August 10, 2018). "The Serious Eats Doughnut Glossary".
- Ulrich, Linda (August 30, 1979). "The Definitive Doughnut Study". Lincoln Journal Star. Lincoln, Nebraska. p. 12 – via Newspapers.com.
- "Southern Maid Produces 'Best Donuts In East Texas'". Tyler Morning Telegraph. March 7, 1955. p. 5 – via Newspapers.com.
- McCoy, Kimberly (June 26, 2021). "Eclair vs Long John". Miss Buttercup.
- Steele, Allison (March 6, 2019). "Maple bars in Philadelphia? The popular West Coast doughnut is nowhere to be found here". The Philadelphia Inquirer.
- "Maple Bar Doughnut". TasteAtlas.
- Galarza, Daniela (May 28, 2015). "Everything You Need to Know About the Great American Doughnut". Eater.
- Hanke, Colleen (July 11, 2019). "Louie and the Giant Donut". The Devil Strip. Akron, Ohio.