Long Thanh International Airport
|Long Thanh International Airport
Sân bay Quốc tế Long Thành
|Operator||Southern Airports Authority|
|Serves||Ho Chi Minh City|
|Elevation AMSL||N/A m / N/A ft|
Long Thanh International Airport (Vietnamese: Sân bay Quốc tế Long Thành) is an airport planned for construction in Long Thành, Đồng Nai Province, southern Vietnam. Located approximately 40 km (25 mi) northeast of Ho Chi Minh City, it is intended to become operational by 2020. It will serve over 100 million passengers annually when built to the maximum designed capacity.
Urgent necessity of a new airport
Tan Son Nhat International Airport is the only international airport in the planned Ho Chi Minh City Metropolitan Area (covering 30,404 square kilometres (11,739 sq mi), with an estimated population of 20-22 million inhabitants by 2020, of which there will be 16 - 17 million urban inhabitants, accounting for 77 - 80% of total population). Tan Son Nhat airport was built during the Vietnam War to support war transportation, hence its location inside the crowded Saigon where growth is limited. Due to location and safety issues, it is difficult to expand to meet the increasing annual growth of passengers. The maximum capacity of Tan Son Nhat is 25 million passengers per annum but in 2010 it handled 15.5 million and with annual growth rate of passengers over 15%, it will be overloaded by 2015.
The flow of international tourists to the South of Vietnam is increasing dramatically, by 15 to 20 percent annually. Promoting the domestic market (current population of 87 million, forecast of 100 million by 2020) by building a new airport that can adapt to future needs is necessary.
Tan Son Nhat airport will serve the international and domestic filghts until the completion of the new Long Thanh International Airport. Article on Tan Son Nhat Airport says Long Thanh Airport is 50km from Ho Chi Minh City, this article says Long Thanh Airport is 40km from Ho Chi Minh City.
The Master Plan for Long Thanh International Airport was approved by the Prime Minister Phan Văn Khải in 2006 and several adjustments have been made through time. The project faced mixed public reaction for its expensive cost and far distance from the center of Ho Chi Minh City.
Based on the demand of transportation, the investment will be divided in phases. The Southern Airports Corporation (a company under the Ministry of Transportation of Viet Nam) is in charge of development of this project.
Phase 1 (2016–2025)
The first phase is estimated to cost 7.8 billion USD and will be divided into 3 sub-phases.
Phase 1A (2016-2023)
According to the original plan, the airport would handle 25 million passengers per year after this phase is completed; however, the proposed capacity was later lowered to 17 million passengers per year cut down the cost. 5.6 billion USD will be allocated to this phase. One terminal will be built along with a single runway.
Phase 1B (2023-2025)
Another runway will be built and increase the total capacity to 25 million passengers per annum.
Phase 1C (2025)
The rest of necessary facilities will be built and land-clearance for future phases will be made. The airport will start operating in 2025.
Phase 2 (2025-2035)
The capacity will be doubled to 50 million passengers per annum and the third runway will be added when the phase is finished, which is scheduled to be in 2035.
Phase 3 (2035-2050)
The airport will reach its maximum designed capacity at 80-100 million passengers and 5 million tonnes of cargo per year. Four runways will be operational after the third phase.
Relating access roads and railways
The airport will be accessible by National Route 51, Ho Chi Minh City–Long Thành Highway (under construction), Biên Hòa–Vũng Tàu Expressway, Long An–Long Thành Expressway, Ho Chi Minh City–Long Thành high-speed railway, Ho Chi Minh City–Nha Trang high-speed railway.
- "New airport in Dong Nai expected to open by 2020". Retrieved 2011-03-10.
- Planning for Saigon Metropolitan Area
- Overcapacity And The Investment Capital Headache
- Long Thanh Airport on Dong Nai government official website
- Kiên, Cường; Hoàng, Thư. "Ý kiến trái chiều trong việc xây sân bay Long Thành". vnexpress.net. VNExpress. Retrieved 19 September 2014.
- "Gánh nặng 8 tỷ USD với dự án sân bay Long Thành". vnexpress.net. VNExpress. Retrieved 19 September 2014.
- "Thu hẹp Sân bay Long Thành giai đoạn 1". vnexpress.net. VNExpress. Retrieved 19 September 2014.
- "Sân bay Long Thành trông đợi vào ngân sách nhà nước". vnexpress.net. VNExpress. Retrieved 19 September 2014.
- The Long Thanh International Airport project approved dongnai.gov.vn, (August 8, 2006)
- Southern province to see new airport Viet Nam News, (June 26, 2004)
- Airport & Ground Support Equipment (AGSE) in Vietnam by Le Son (11/25/2005)
- Vietnam: Opportunity for Bidding for Masterplan of USD $8-Billion Long Thanh International Airport by Le Son (February 15, 2007)