Long steam tricycle
|Manufacturer||George A. Long|
|Engine||Gasoline-fired steam, 2-cylinder, 90-degree, V-twin engine|
|Bore / stroke||Unk.×1 5/8"|
|Transmission||Two speed, rear-wheel drive via quasi friction drive|
|Frame type||Steel tubular|
|Suspension||Solid; full-elliptic springs suspending independent, height adjustable seats|
|Brakes||2×Spoon brake (front)|
|Tires||Front: 2×36 in (910 mm)|
Rear: 60 in (1,500 mm)
Solid tires on spoked wheels
|Weight||350 lb (160 kg) (wet)|
The Long steam tricycle appears to be one of the earliest preserved examples of a steam tricycle, built by George A. Long around 1880 and patented in 1883. One example was built, which after some years of use was dismantled and the parts dispersed. In 1946, one John H. Bateman, with assistance from the 96-year-old Long, reassembled the machine, which is now on display at the Smithsonian Institution. The example at the Smithsonian has been noted as the "oldest completely operable self-propelled road vehicle in the museum".
Steering the two front wheels was accomplished via two independent tillers which would have made simultaneous steering and control of the brake levers difficult for a single individual.
- "1880 Long Steam Tricycle - Pictures". Remarkablecars.com. 2009-06-17. Retrieved 2010-07-29.[dead link]
- "Long Steam Tricycle - Pictures". Remarkablecars.com. Retrieved 2019-09-29.
- "America on the Move | Long steam tricycle". Americanhistory.si.edu. 2008-10-24. Retrieved 2014-06-17.
- Oliver, Smith Hempstone; Berkebile, Donald H. (1953), Wheels and Wheeling: The Smithsonian Cycle Collection, Smithsonian Institution Press, p. 49
- "Arts Listings: Museums-East Bay Through May 30", The Berkeley Daily Planet, May 18, 2010, retrieved 22 September 2019
- "Automobiles de collection: Long steam tricycle", Les voitures anciennes et histoire des marques des véhicules (in French), archived from the original on 2014-11-13, retrieved 2014-06-18
- Roger White, Nicholas Jackson (ed.), "Race to the Museum: Long Steam Tricycle, About 1880", The Atlantic blog, The Atlantic, retrieved 22 September 2019
- Lewis, Albert L.; Musciano, Walter A. (1977). "Long steam tricycle". Automobiles of the World. Simon & Schuster. p. 43. ISBN 9780671224851.
- "A novel steam road vehicle...", Scientific American: 74, August 4, 1893
- Strohl, Daniel (May 2, 2011), "Hemmings find of the day: birthplace of the American automobile", Hemmings blog, Hemmings
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Long steam tricycle.|
- Stamp bearing an image of the Long steam tricycle from Burkina Faso post, c. 1985
- Smithsonian - Race to the Museum: Long steam tricycle, about 1880