Lonsdale, South Australia
Adelaide, South Australia
O'Sullivan Beach Road
|Population||29 (2016 census)|
|LGA(s)||City of Onkaparinga|
Lonsdale was farmed from shortly after European settlement until the 1950s, when the South Australian Housing Trust acquired much of the land for industrial use. Mobil's Port Stanvac Refinery and Chrysler's engine foundry were followed by many other manufacturing and service industries. Subsequent suburban development of surrounding areas has driven demand for a wide range of service-oriented businesses in the area.
Port Stanvac Refinery and the Mitsubishi (formerly Chrysler) engine plant closed in 2004, with both sites remaining unused as of 2007. The South Australian Government announced plans to build a seawater desalination plant at the site in 2007, to provide fresh water for Adelaide. The Adelaide Desalination Plant opened in 2013.
Lonsdale was settled in the early 1840s in the movement of colonists into the Morphett Vale Region. One of its settlers had come from the English town of Kirkby Lonsdale. A local farmer gave the name Lonsdale to his property and in time this name was given to a local rail siding and eventually the suburb.
Farming continued in the area until the 1970s. The housing trust had purchased a large amount of land in the vicinity and portions of this were set aside for industrial use, with large firms like Chrysler and Sola Optical as well as the Port Stanvac Oil refinery moving in. Farming in the area had become unprofitable by the 1980s.
- Rail Car Depot Relocation project - 30 railcars with scope for future expansion.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Lonsdale". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 21 July 2019.
- "Southern Adelaide SA Government region" (PDF). The Government of South Australia. Retrieved 17 April 2017.
- "Search result for "County of Adelaide, CNTY" with the following data sets selected - "Counties" and "Local Government Areas"". Property Location SA Map Viewer. Government of South Australia. Retrieved 24 April 2017.
- "District of Reynell Background Profile". ecsa.sa.gov.au. ELECTORAL COMMISSION SA. 2014. Retrieved 28 July 2015.
- "Map of the Federal division of Kingston" (PDF). Australian Electoral Commission. 2011. Retrieved 28 July 2015.
- "Monthly climate statistics: Summary statistics Noarlunga (nearest weather station)". Commonwealth of Australia , Bureau of Meteorology. Retrieved 11 October 2016.
- "City of Onkaparinga suburb boundaries map". City of Onkaparinga. 28 July 2015. Archived from the original on 24 September 2015. Retrieved 8 October 2014.
- "South Australia's water restrictions to end by 2012". Adelaide Now. 14 May 2009. Retrieved 28 July 2015.
- "Lonsdale, European History and Heritage". City of Onkaparinga. Retrieved 28 July 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lonsdale, South Australia.|
|This article about a place in Adelaide is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|