Look It Up (song)
|"Look It Up"|
|Single by Ashton Shepherd|
|from the album Where Country Grows|
|Released||January 3, 2011|
Robert Ellis Orrall
|Ashton Shepherd singles chronology|
"Look It Up" is a song written by Robert Ellis Orrall and Angaleena Presley, and originally recorded by Australian country artist Jasmine Rae in 2008. It was later recorded by American country music artist Ashton Shepherd, whose version was released in January 2011 as the lead-off single to her album Where Country Grows.
"Look It Up" is a moderate up-tempo country song. The song's female narrator expresses her dissatisfaction with being done wrong by her man who has been seeing another woman. She tells him multiple words dealing with his wrongdoing (such as 'liar,' 'forgiveness,' and 'faithful') and suggests he "look [them] up."
Shepherd described it as, "a song about somebody who is officially done with something to the point that they are really over it. It's almost like they aren't that mad anymore, just ready to be through with it, just done. 'Done' is a good word."
Stephen M. Deusner of Engine 145 gave the song a thumbs up, favorably describing the lyrics as "clever" and complimenting Shepherd's "intense twang." Kevin John Coyne of Country Universe gave it a C rating, calling the song "outdated." He also stated that while "Ashton Shepherd is bringing country back to country, [...] a dull vocal isn’t improved by exaggerated twang. It just sounds forced."
The video was directed by Michael Salomon and was released a few days after the single was sent to radio. In it, Shepherd's former love interest is shown coming home to find her having a yard sale to get rid of all his possessions. He confronts her about it, only to have her confront him about his cheating. He spends the rest of the video trying to take back his stuff from the customers while Shepherd advises him to look up words that describe his infidelity. Additionally, scenes of Shepherd performing the song from within a garage are included.
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||19|
|US Billboard Hot 100||95|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||75|
- Mease, Jason (4 January 2011). "Ashton Shepherd's "Look It Up" Shows Off Sassy Side". Great American Country. Retrieved 8 March 2011.
- "News". Jasmine Rae official website. Archived from the original on 1 July 2011. Retrieved 21 June 2011.
- Gayle Richardson (January 4, 2011). "Ashton Shepherd Releases New Single, 'Look It Up'". The Boot. Retrieved March 5, 2011.
- Stephen M. Deusner (December 13, 2010). "Ashton Shepherd - "Look It Up" - Engine 145". Engine 145. Retrieved December 13, 2010.
- Kevin John Coyne (December 11, 2010). "Single Review: Ashton Shepherd, "Look it Up"". Country Universe. Retrieved March 5, 2011.
- "Chart Highlights: Pop, Rock, Dance/Club Play Songs & More". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved January 3, 2011.
- "Ashton Shepherd Chart History (Hot Country Songs)". Billboard.
- "Ashton Shepherd Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Best of 2011: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2011. Retrieved December 10, 2011.