Look at Me (Geri Halliwell song)
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (July 2011)|
|"Look at Me"|
|Single by Geri Halliwell|
|from the album Schizophonic|
|Released||10 May 1999|
|Length||4:33 (album version)
4:08 (single version)
|Geri Halliwell singles chronology|
"Look at Me" is a song by British singer-songwriter, Geri Halliwell. Written by Halliwell, Paul Wilson and Andy Watkins, it was released on 10 May 1999 as the first single from Halliwell's debut solo album Schizophonic. It peaked at number two at the UK Singles Chart, and at number three in both Australia and Canada. To promote the single, Halliwell performed the song on Top of the Pops, Party in the Park, Wetten Dass, Tickled Pink, Tapis Rouge, Musica Si, Festival Bar 1999, The Rosie O'Donnell Show, Graine de Star and The Tonight Show with Jay Leno.
"Look at Me" was released in the United Kingdom on 10 May 1999. Since Halliwell had chosen "Look at Me" as the first single from Schizophonic and because she felt as though the song was going to return her to the mainstream market, it was released the same week as Boyzone's "You Needed Me". In early 1999, Boyzone were at the height of their success with five UK number-ones, however, Halliwell was confident that "Look at Me" would reach number-one. Although more transactions were made of the "Look at Me" single, two CD singles of "You Needed Me" were released in order for fans to purchase both and ensure that Boyzone made it to the number-one position.
"Look at Me" entered the UK Singles Chart at number two; it was only 700 copies behind Boyzone's "You Needed Me". Halliwell was disappointed with the outcome of the chart performance for "Look at Me" since she had believed that it would reach number one. She had also feared that her career was to end six months following the release of the single. However, Halliwell would earn her first UK number-one single with "Mi Chico Latino". "Look at Me" went on to sell 330,812 copies in the United Kingdom alone, being certified Gold by the BPI, and over 1 million copies worldwide.
The music video for "Look at Me" was directed by Vaughan Arnell and filmed in Prague, Czech Republic. The music video features four versions of Halliwell: a vamp, a bitch, a virgin, and a sister. Most of the music video is black and white, except in one scene in the middle of the video, during the funeral of Ginger Spice, Halliwell was seen with red hair (a wig), blonde highlights and a red thorn crown. In the last part, Halliwell and male dancers are dancing on a large staircase and then in front of a fountain. At the end of the video there is a message saying "Geri's back!" with a picture of a nude Geri skinny dipping and ends with a G.
Formats and track listings
These are the formats and track listings of major single releases of "Look at Me".
UK CD Maxi/Canadian CD (Released 10 May 1999)
UK CD Maxi - special edition (Released 10 May 1999, presented in a special digipak including four postcards)
European CD Maxi (Released 10 May 1999)
European 2-track CD single (Released 10 May 1999)
Brazilian CD Maxi (Released 10 May 1999)
Japanese CD single (Released 16 June 1999)
Italian 12" (Released 10 May 1999)
Official versions and remixes
- Album version / Full-length version – 4:31
- Radio edit #1 / Single version – 4:08
- Radio edit #2* – 3:35
- Radio edit #3* – 3:19
- Mark!s Big Vocal Mix Surgery Edit – 7:30
- Mark!s Fantasy Dub* – 8:44
- Sharp Boys Queeny Dub – 7:21
- Sharp Boys Vocal Edit* – 3:57
- Sharp Boys Vocal Remix – 7:48
- Terminalhead Dub* – 5:42
- Terminalhead Edit* – 3:46
- Terminalhead Remix – 5:55
* appears only in promotional singles
- Halliwell, Geri; London, UK (2002). Just for the Record (autobiography), pg. 122.
- Halliwell, pg. 122–123.
- "Look at Me" sales and certifications
- "Australian-charts.com – Geri Halliwell – Look at Me". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Austriancharts.at – Geri Halliwell – Look at Me" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – Geri Halliwell – Look at Me" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Ultratop.be – Geri Halliwell – Look at Me" (in French). Ultratop 50.
- "Geri Halliwell Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for Geri Halliwell.
- "Danishcharts.com – Geri Halliwell – Look at Me". Tracklisten.
- "Geri Halliwell: Look at Me" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland.
- "Lescharts.com – Geri Halliwell – Look at Me" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Musicline.de – Geri Halliwell Single-Chartverfolgung" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Italiancharts.com – Geri Halliwell – Look at Me". Top Digital Download.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Geri Halliwell – Look at Me" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "Charts.org.nz – Geri Halliwell – Look at Me". Top 40 Singles.
- "Spanishcharts.com – Geri Halliwell – Look at Me" Canciones Top 50.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Geri Halliwell – Look at Me". Singles Top 60.
- "Swisscharts.com – Geri Halliwell – Look at Me". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Geri Halliwell: Artist Chart History" UK Singles Chart.
- "ARIA Charts - End of Year Charts - Top 100 Singles 1999". ARIA. Retrieved 21 December 2014.
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 1999 Singles". Australian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved September 28, 2014.
- "Guld- och Platinacertifikat − År 1999" (PDF) (in Swedish). IFPI Sweden. Retrieved September 28, 2011.
- "British single certifications – Geri Halliwell". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved September 28, 2014. Enter Geri Halliwell in the field Search. Select Artist in the field Search by. Select single in the field By Format. Select Gold in the field By Award. Click Search
- Justin Myers (May 16, 2014). "Official Charts Flashback 1999: Geri Halliwell – Look At Me". Official Charts. Retrieved May 24, 2014.
|New Zealand Singles Chart
number one single
30 May 1999
"I Want It That Way"
by Backstreet Boys