Lookin At Lucky
|Lookin At Lucky|
Lookin At Lucky at 2009 Breeder's Cup Juvenile
|Damsire||Belong To Me|
|Breeder||Gulf Coast Farms|
|Best Pal Stakes (2009)|
Del Mar Futurity (2009)
Norfolk Stakes (2009)
CashCall Futurity (2009)
Rebel Stakes (2010)
Haskell Invitational (2010)
Indiana Derby (2010) Triple Crown classic race wins:
Preakness Stakes (2010)
|American Champion Two-Year-Old Colt (2009)|
American Champion Three-Year-Old Male Horse (2010)
Lookin At Lucky (foaled May 27, 2007 in Kentucky) is an American Thoroughbred racehorse and winner of the 2010 Preakness Stakes. Sired by Smart Strike, a half brother to Canadian Triple Crown Winner Dance Smartly, his dam, Private Feeling, was sired by Belong To Me by the North American Leading Sire of 1993, Danzig.
Lookin At Lucky proved to be the best three-year-old in training by winning the 2010 Eclipse Award as division champion being named American Champion Three-Year-Old Male Horse. He dominated the voting that year; Lookin At Lucky, 224 votes; Eskendereya, 5 votes; Paddy O'Prado, 1 vote. As the award was presented January 2011, it was announced that Lookin At Lucky had become the first horse in 32 years to be named the champion of his division at both age two and age three. No other horse had accomplished such a feat since Spectacular Bid did it 1978 and 1979.
Bred by Gulf Coast Farms, Lookin At Lucky was bought back as a yearling for $35,000 at the 2008 Keeneland September Sale. After working 1/8 of a mile in 10 seconds, Lookin at Lucky was bought by popular trainer Bob Baffert at the 2009 Keeneland April Sale for $475,000. Lookin At Lucky raced for owners Mike Pegram, Karl Watson, and Paul Weitman.
- Lookin At Lucky broke his maiden at the Cushion Track at Hollywood Park on July 11, going 6 furlongs.
Best Pal Stakes
- He followed up this win in the Grade II Best Pal Stakes at Del Mar Racetrack in Del Mar, California. Ridden by Garrett Gomez he finished the six and a half furlongs in a time of 1:16.06.
Del Mar Futurity Stakes
- His handlers then decided to try the 7 furlong, Grade I, Del Mar Futurity Stakes, with Garrett Gomez again in the saddle he won in final time of 1:22.85.
- During the Oak Tree Racing Association meet at Santa Anita Park in Arcadia, California, Lookin At Lucky solidified his entrance into the 2009 Breeders' Cup Juvenile by winning the Grade I Norfolk Stakes at a distance of 11⁄16 miles (8.5 furlongs). He finished in a final time of 1:43.11 in a full field of 12.
Breeders' Cup Juvenile
- Going off as the favorite from post 13, Lookin At Lucky had a difficult trip and finished second by a head behind the long shot European winner, Vale of York.
- On December 19, Lookin At Lucky sealed American Champion Two-Year-Old Colt honors with a win over chief rival Noble's Promise in the CashCall Futurity.
- On March 13, Lookin At Lucky made his three-year-old debut at Oaklawn Park with a win in the Rebel Stakes. He won by a head over arch-rival Noble's Promise, even though he stumbled badly during the run down the backstretch.
Santa Anita Derby
- On April 3, he had a horrendous trip under Garrett Gomez in the Santa Anita Derby. Bumped, jostled and virtually ridden into the fence, Lookin At Lucky finished third.
- Going into the 2010 Kentucky Derby, Lookin At Lucky was made the favorite after the scratch of Eskendereya. Drawing the number one inside post, he was pinned to the rail and had nowhere to go until a late run to wind up sixth, making it his first off-the-board finish.
- After a disappointing Kentucky Derby finish, trainer Bob Baffert turned to young jockey Martin Garcia and fired Garrett Gomez after three consecutive races where the veteran jockey could not keep the horse out of trouble. On May 15, Garcia rode Lookin At Lucky to a win in the 135th running of the Preakness Stakes at Pimlico Race Course in Baltimore, Maryland. Lookin At Lucky went off as the 2–1 second choice and paid $6.80 to win in a time of 1:55.47, holding off pacesetter First Dude and the late-charging Jackson Bend.
Haskell Invitational Handicap
- Martin Garcia rode Lookin At Lucky again in the Haskell Invitational. The 6-5 favorite, he broke a bit awkwardly, but Garcia steadied him and positioned him three wide on the first turn. Entering the far turn while still 3 paths wide, he moved past his competitors, winning the race by four lengths over upcoming Trappe Shot, followed by First Dude and Super Saver, the Kentucky Derby winner. He received a career-best 105 Beyer Speed Figure for the most dominant performance of his career.
- Lookin at Lucky developed an illness after the Haskell and missed a month of training. Regrouping, Baffert pointed his star toward the Indiana Derby, held at small Hoosier Park. Lookin At Lucky drew post position 6 in a field of nine horses and became the overwhelming favorite at odds of 2-5. He broke well but fell back to last early in the race and around the first turn. Still in eighth place on the backstretch, Lookin At Lucky came five-wide around the far turn, caught the leader in late home-stretch and won by 11⁄4 lengths. He earned a 103 Beyer Speed Figure for his performance.
Breeders Cup Classic
- After his win in the Indiana Derby, Baffert pointed the horse toward the 27th running of the Breeders' Cup Classic. Lookin At Lucky trained well but was compromised by a "minor infection and a cough" a week before the race. "I had to treat him with antibiotics, and sometimes that's hard on a horses system," Baffert said. Lookin At Lucky was healthy for the race, but was placed farther back than usual early and finished fourth.
Lookin At Lucky's first foal was born in January 2012 at Royal Pegasus Farm in Lexington, Kentucky. The foal, a dark bay filly, was out of the Storm Cat mare Awesome. Lookin At Lucky was represented by his first winner in May 2014 when filly Lucky'stormwarning won a maiden race at Gulfstream Park. His first stakes winner came in August 2014 when colt Four Leaf Chief won the Louisiana Cup Juvenile Stakes at Louisiana Downs.
He currently serves as a "shuttle stallion", traveling to Coolmore's Australian operations during the Southern Hemisphere breeding season. In 2012, Lookin At Lucky began shuttling to Chile to stand at Haras Paso Nevado, a farm near Santiago. He shuttled to Chile alongside fellow Ashford stallion Scat Daddy.
United States (Northern Hemisphere)
- Country House: Winner of the 2019 Kentucky Derby
- Accelerate: 2018 American champion dirt older male and Horse of the year finalist ( Santa Anita Handicap, Gold Cup at Santa Anita, Pacific Classic, Awesome Again Stakes, Breeders' cup Classic)
- Madefromlucky: Winner of the Peter Pan Stakes, West Virginia Derby, Greenwood Cup Stakes, and Temperence Hill Stakes.
- Dr. Dorr: Winner of the Californian Stakes and Gr.I-placed.
- Breaking Lucky: Winner of the Seagram Cup Stakes and Prince of Wales Stakes, multiple Gr.I placed.
- Lucky Player: Winner of the Iroquois Stakes.
- Lookin At Lee: Won Ellis Park Juvenile Stakes, runner-up in 2017 Kentucky Derby.
- Money Multiplier:Winner of the Monmouth Stakes, multiple Gr.I-placed.
- Four Leaf Chief: Multiple stakes winner
- Good Luck Gus: Multiple stakes winner
- Protective Shield: Multiple stakes winner
Lookin At Lucky has also sired stakes winners and graded stakes placed runners Spider's Alibi, Linda's Luck, La Piba, One Lucky Dane, Diamond Oops, Maybellene, Giuseppe the Great, Dolphus, and Summer Luck.
Chile (Southern Hemisphere)
- Wow Cat (CHI): Winner of the Gran Criterium, Cl Tanteo de Potranca, Mil Guineas (all CHI-G1), and Cl Jose Saavedra Baeza (CHI-G3).
- Kurilov (CHI): Winner of the GP Hipodromo Chile (CHI-G1)
- Conquer (CHI): Winner of the Cl Alberto Vial Infante (CHI-G1)
- Full of Luck (CHI): Winner of the El Derby (CHI-G1) and Cl Criadores Machos, GP Coronacion, Cl Otono (CHI-G2)
- Artigal (CHI): Winner of the Hugo Bourchier (CHI-G1) and Gran Handicap de Chile (CHI-G3)
- Tinku (CHI): Winner of the Cl Juan S. Jackson (CHI-G2)
- Luckita (CHI): Winner of the Cl Haras de Chile (CHI-G2)
- Lucky Sisi (CHI): Winner of the GP Criadores (CHI-G2)
- Jacare (CHI): Winner of the Cl Alvaro Covarrubias (CHI-G3)
|Mr. Prospector||Raise a Native||Native Dancer|
|Classy 'n Smart||Smarten||Cyane|
|Belong To Me||Danzig||Northern Dancer|
|Pas de Nom|
|Regal Feeling||Clever Trick||Icecapade|
|Sharp Belle||Native Charger|
- The Blood-Horse, May 17, 2010
- The Blood-Horse, May 15, 2010
- "Lookin At Lucky retired, will stand in Kentucky for Coolmore", Daily Racing Form, November 19, 2010.
- "Ashford sets Lookin At Lucky's stud fee at $35,000", Daily Racing Form, November 23, 2010.
- "First foal for dual Champion Lookin At Lucky -". 2012-01-19. Retrieved 2017-10-14.
- "Eclipse Champion Lookin At Lucky Sires First Winner - Horse Racing News | Paulick Report". www.paulickreport.com. Retrieved 2017-10-14.
- "First Stakes-Winner for Lookin at Lucky -". 2014-08-03. Retrieved 2017-10-14.
- "Coolmore Australia Stallion Roster". Coolmore Stud. Retrieved December 22, 2011.
- "Lookin At Lucky to Shuttle to Chile". BloodHorse.com. Retrieved 2017-10-14.
- "Lookin At Lucky -". Retrieved 2017-10-14.
- "Lookin At Lucky on Stallion Register Online". Stallion Register Online. Retrieved 2017-10-14.