Looxcie was a mobile-connected, handsfree, streaming video camera created by Looxcie, Inc., a privately owned Sunnyvale, California company. The Looxcie video camera was named a top 50 best invention of 2010 by Time Magazine (November 2010), and LooxcieLive, their live streaming video service, was named as a top 100 best innovation of 2011 by Popular Science (December 2011).
- September 2008 – the company is formed and venture financed.
- September 2010 – the company sells its first camcorder Looxcie 1, and releases its first mobile app LooxcieMoments.
- December 2010 – the company releases its LooxcieCam mobile app.
- June 2011 – the company launches its second generation camcorder Looxcie 2.
- October 2011 – the company introduces hands-free accessories for Looxcie 2.
- November 2011 – the company releases LooxcieLive live video streaming service.
- February 2012 – the company announces joint-development partnership with Taser International, Inc., who releases the AXON Flex product line. The AXON Flex features Looxcie technology.
- January 2014 – Company announces shift of focus from consumer to enterprise products (Vidcie)
- April 2014 – Company announces it will "Close down the consumer line of cameras, services, and support for the current Looxcie customers and partners."
Mobile-connected streaming video cameras
Looxcie is a mobile-connected, handsfree, streaming video camera that facilitates live video streaming and capture. The live video streaming is designed for real-time sharing. Video clips can be saved on the camera and shared via a mobile device or uploaded to a computer.
Looxcie video cameras are compatible with Android (2.1+) and iOS (4.2.6+) devices. Looxcie utilizes a dual processor system for simultaneous video capture, wireless streaming and phone calls via Bluetooth. The Looxcie maximizes battery life (up to 4 hours) and optimizes video for viewing (480p) and mobile sharing (320p) in a small wearable, ergonomic form factor.
Looxcie 2 features an adjustable fit system with attachment accessories. Looxcie 2 weighs 22g (0.78 oz) and comes in two configurations: up to 5 hour video storage model and up to 10 hour video storage model.
Accessories for Looxcie 2
- For sports and outdoors: helmet strap mount, vented helmet mount, ball cap clip, bike mount
- For the car: windshield mount, car visor mount
- Lenses: 180° fisheye Lens, 2X zoom telephoto lens, wide angle and macro lens
- Essentials: carrying case, wall charger, tripod, tripod head
Looxcie companion apps are available for download from LooxcieDesktop, the App Store and Play Store (Android Market).
LooxcieLive lets users stream live video and view other people’s broadcasts in real-time. Push-to-Talk and Text Chat features allow viewers to dialog with the broadcaster while they live stream. Video streaming auto-adapts based on network capabilities – 3G, 4G or Wi-Fi.
LooxcieMoments allows users to continuously record video into a looping buffer. With the Instant Clip button on Looxcie, users can reach back and save the last 30-seconds of an event, which can then be shared to social networks and email.
- "The 50 Best Inventions of 2010". Time Magazine. 2010-11-11. Retrieved 2012-04-03.
- "LooxcieLive". Popular Science. Retrieved 2012-04-03.
- "Looxcie telephone headset records video, too". USAToday.com. 2010-09-15. Retrieved 2012-04-03.
- Fairlie, Rik (2010-10-01). "Would You Wear a Camcorder on Your Ear?". NYTimes.com. Retrieved 2012-04-03.
- "Consumer Electronics Show: Capture video with Looxcie, then show it off". LATimes.com. 2011-01-06. Retrieved 2012-04-03.
- Schmidt, Gregory (2012-02-28). "Your Life, Broadcast Live". NYTimes.com. Retrieved 2012-04-03.
- "Looxcie 2 wearable camcorder slims down, adds some accessories". Engadget.com. Retrieved 2012-04-03.
- "iCloud Gadget Looxcie 2: Wearable Headset Grabs Video". InformationWeek.com. Retrieved 2012-04-03.
- "LooxcieLive: Wearable Camera Live Streams Video". InformationWeek.com. Retrieved 2012-04-03.
- "Taser Axon Flex Camera Records Criminals, Cops". DailyTech.com. Retrieved 2012-04-03.
- "Looxcie shifts away from consumers: it's Vidcie from here on out". Retrieved 2015-03-09.
- "Press Release: "Looxcie Restructures Consumer Business"" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2015-03-18. Retrieved 2015-03-09.
- "Looxcie wearable camera returns, looks improved". CNET.com. Retrieved 2012-04-23.
- "my.looxciedesktop.com". my.looxciedesktop.com.