Lord Ivar Mountbatten
Lord Ivar Mountbatten
|Born||Ivar Alexander Michael Mountbatten|
9 March 1963
(m. 1994; div. 2011)
|Issue||Ella Louise Georgina Mountbatten |
Alexandra Nada Victoria Mountbatten
Louise Xenia Rose Mountbatten
|Father||David Mountbatten, 3rd Marquess of Milford Haven|
|Mother||Janet Mercedes Bryce|
Lord Ivar Alexander Michael Mountbatten, DL (born 9 March 1963) is a British aristocrat, farmer, geologist and businessman. He is a third cousin, once removed of Queen Elizabeth II and a first cousin, once removed of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. He is a former director of SCL Group, the parent company of Cambridge Analytica.
Although he is not a member of the British royal family proper, he is the first member of the British monarch's extended family openly in a same-sex relationship, and upon marrying his partner James Coyle in 2018 was the first to have a same-sex wedding.
Early life and family
Mountbatten was born in London, to David Mountbatten, 3rd Marquess of Milford Haven, and the former Janet Mercedes Bryce. His elder brother is George Mountbatten, 4th Marquess of Milford Haven. Queen Victoria was his great-great-great grandmother, and he is a descendant of Alexander Pushkin. He is also a second cousin of Prince Charles through both of their fathers. His paternal grandfather was Prince George of Battenberg, through whom he is a morganatic descendant of the House of Hesse-Darmstadt.
Mountbatten married Penelope Anne Vere Thompson (born Salisbury, Wiltshire, 17 March 1966), only daughter of Colin Graham Thompson of Old Manor House, Sutton Veny, Wiltshire, and his wife Rosemary Vere Edwardes. The ceremony took place on 23 April 1994 at the Church of Saint Peter and Saint Paul in Clare, Suffolk. They have three daughters:
- Ella Louise Georgina Mountbatten (born Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, 20 March 1996) – goddaughter of Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex.
- Alexandra 'Alix' Nada Victoria Mountbatten (born Bridwell Park, Uffculme, Devon, 8 May 1998) – goddaughter of Sophie, Countess of Wessex.
- Louise 'Luli' Xenia Rose Mountbatten (born Bridwell Park, 30 July 2002).
The couple separated in September 2010 and divorced amicably in November 2011. In 2015, he converted their former home, Bridwell Park, into an exclusive-use venue for weddings, corporate functions, and business events.
In September 2016, Mountbatten revealed that he was in a relationship with James Coyle, an airline cabin services director whom he met while at a ski resort in Verbier. On 22 September 2018 they were married in a private ceremony on Mountbatten's estate of Bridwell Park. Mountbatten's former wife walked him down the aisle and 'gave him away' at the suggestion of their children.
- Brown, David. "SCL Group's founders were connected to royalty, the rich and powerful" – via www.thetimes.co.uk.
- Beresford, Meka. "The first person in the royal family has just come out as gay". Retrieved 22 September 2017.
- Duffy, Nick (24 September 2018). "Queen's cousin marries in first gay royal wedding".
- "The first ever gay royal wedding has taken place". 24 September 2018. Retrieved 24 September 2018.
- "Descendants of Alexander Sergeivich Pushkin". Retrieved 22 September 2017.
- "Lord Ivar Alexander Michael Mountbatten". Retrieved 22 September 2017.
- "Penelope Anne Vere Thompson".
- Harley, Sarah (17 September 2016). "Queen's cousin Lord Ivar Mountbatten has spoken of his decision to come out as gay after finding love". The Telegraph. Retrieved 22 September 2017.
- Reynolds, Daniel (17 June 2018). "Get Ready for the First Gay Royal Wedding". Retrieved 18 June 2018.
- "Lord Ivar Alexander Michael Mountbatten". ThePeerage.com. Retrieved 22 September 2017.
- "Announcement of the christening of Lady Louise Windsor". The Royal Family. 8 April 2004. Retrieved 13 November 2021.