Brian Kerr, Baron Kerr of Tonaghmore
|The Right Honourable
The Lord Kerr of Tonaghmore
|Justice of the Supreme Court of the United Kingdom|
1 October 2009
|Preceded by||Position created|
|Lord of Appeal in Ordinary|
29 June 2009 – 30 September 2009
|Preceded by||Lord Carswell|
|Succeeded by||Position eliminated|
|Lord Chief Justice of Northern Ireland|
|Appointed by||Elizabeth II|
|Preceded by||Lord Carswell|
|Succeeded by||Sir Declan Morgan|
|Born||22 February 1948|
|Alma mater||Queen's University Belfast|
Brian Francis Kerr, Baron Kerr of Tonaghmore, PC, QC (born 22 February 1948) is a Justice of the Supreme Court of the United Kingdom and former Lord Chief Justice of Northern Ireland. He pronounces his name to rhyme with "Cur". 
He was educated at St Colman's College, Newry and read law at Queen's University Belfast. He was called to the Bar of Northern Ireland in 1970, and to the Bar of England and Wales at Gray's Inn in 1974. He took silk in 1983 and became a member of the King's Inns in 1990, and an Honorary Bencher of Gray's Inn in 1997 and the King's Inns in 2004. He served as Junior Crown Counsel (Common Law) from 1978 to 1983 and Senior Crown Counsel from 1988 to 1993.
On 29 June 2009, he was created Baron Kerr of Tonaghmore, of Tonaghmore in the County of Down, and was introduced to the House of Lords the same day. He was the last person to be appointed a Lord of Appeal in Ordinary (and therefore the last to be given a law life peerage under the 1876 Act), and on 1 October 2009 he became one of the inaugural Justices of the new Supreme Court of the United Kingdom. He was also the youngest member, at age 63. He was succeeded as Lord Chief Justice of Northern Ireland on 3 July 2009 by Sir Declan Morgan.
- List of Northern Ireland Members of the House of Lords
- List of Northern Ireland members of the Privy Council
- "UK Supreme Court Judgments 26th June 2013 - Part 1". UK Supreme Court YouTube. UK Supreme Court. 26 June 2013. Retrieved 30 August 2015.
"The judgment in this case will be given by Lord Kerr", spoken in the presence of Lord Kerr by his colleague Lord Neuberger.
- A & C Black (December 2008). "KERR, Rt Hon. Sir Brian (Francis)'". Who's Who. Oxford University Press. Retrieved 25 April 2009.
- "Appointment of two Lords of Appeal in Ordinary". 10 Downing Street. 8 April 2009. Archived from the original on 15 April 2009. Retrieved 10 March 2014.
- "Privy Council Appointment (Sir Brian Francis Kerr)". 10 Downing Street. 6 February 2004. Archived from the original on 9 September 2008. Retrieved 4 July 2009.
- "Sir Brian Kerr Lord Chief Justice of Northern Ireland". London, UK: The Times. 21 April 2008. Retrieved 4 July 2009.
- "Sir Brian is last ever Law Lord". BBC News Online. 29 June 2009. Retrieved 4 July 2009.
- "Lord Chief Justice of Northern Ireland". 10 Downing Street. 18 June 2009. Archived from the original on 13 July 2011. Retrieved 4 July 2009.
- R v Gnango  UKSC 59 (14 December 2011)
- University, Ulster (7 November 2016). "Inspiring Excellence: University of Ulster Honorary Graduates".
- "Catholic appointed new lord chief justice". The Irish News. 12 December 2003. Retrieved 4 July 2009.
Sir Robert Carswell
|Lord Chief Justice of Northern Ireland
Sir Declan Morgan