Adrian Palmer, 4th Baron Palmer
Adrian Bailie Nottage Palmer, 4th Baron Palmer (born aristocrat and landowner in Scotland. Lord Palmer succeeded his uncle in the peerage in 1990, and is now one of the ninety hereditary peers elected to remain in the House of Lords after the passing of the House of Lords Act 1999; he sits as a crossbencher.8 October 1951) is an
Palmer is the son of Colonel the Hon. Sir Gordon Palmer, a younger son of Ernest Palmer, 2nd Baron Palmer by his marriage to Lorna Eveline Hope Bailie. He was educated at Eton and then at the University of Edinburgh, where he received a Certificate in Farming Practice in 1979.
From 1977 to 1986 he was the Scottish representative to the European Landowners' Organisation (ELO). He was member of the Executive Council of the Historic Houses Association from 1981 to 1999, and of the council of the Scottish Landowners' Federation from 1986 to 1992. Between 1989 and 2005, he was also secretary of the Royal Caledonian Hunt. For the Historic Houses Association for Scotland, The Lord Palmer was vice-chairman in 1993 and 1994, and chairman between 1994 and 1999.
Palmer was also President of Palm Tree Silk Co in St Lucia, of the British Association of Biofuels and Oils (BABFO), and of the transport division of the Renewable Energy Authority. He is a member of the National Farmers Union of Scotland and since 1994 chairman of the Country Sports Defence Trust. Between 1990 and 1996, he was a member of the Royal Company of Archers.
On 7 May 1977, at Haileybury, Hertfordshire, he married firstly Cornelia Dorothy Katharine, daughter of R.N. Wadham, of Newmarket. They were divorced in 2004. Together they have three children, two sons and a daughter:
- Hon. Hugo Bailie Rohan Palmer (born 5 December 1980) – Heir apparent to the barony
- Hon. Edwina Laura Marguerite Palmer (born 20 February 1982)
- Hon. George Gordon Nottage Palmer (born 17 November 1985)
Lord Palmer married secondly in 2006 Loraine McMurrey, a Houston heiress, and divorced in 2013.
- Wightman, Andrew, Who Owns Scotland, Edinburgh, 1996, p58, ISBN 0-86241-585-3
- "6 of the most ridiculous lords still running the country (or claiming expenses to do so)". www.newstatesman.com. Retrieved 10 September 2018.
- Scott, Kirsty (11 September 2000). "Lord with too much silver: please help". the Guardian. Retrieved 10 September 2018.
- "Palmer, Baron (UK, 1933)". www.cracroftspeerage.co.uk. Retrieved 10 September 2018.
- "Person Page". www.thepeerage.com. Retrieved 10 September 2018.
- Seenan, Gerard (5 August 1999). "Stately homes feel the pinch". the Guardian. Retrieved 10 September 2018.
- Black, A.,& C., Who's Who, London, 2004, 156th edition, p. 1679.ISBN 0-7136-6275-1
- "DodOnline". Archived from the original on 3 October 2006. Retrieved 9 March 2007.
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
| Baron Palmer
Hon. Hugo Palmer
|This biography of a baron in the peerage of the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|