|Member of the Landtag of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern|
|Member of the People's Chamber of East Germany|
December 24, 1954 |
Weixdorf, Bezirk Dresden, East Germany
|Political party||Christian Democratic Union|
Caffier has been serving since 2006 as State Minister of the Interior and since 2011 as Deputy Minister-President of Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania in the governments of Minister-Presidents Harald Ringstorff (2006-2008) and Erwin Sellering (since 2008). As one of the state’s representatives at the Bundesrat, he has been the chairman of the Defence Committee since 2006. In addition, he has been leading the Bundesrat delegation to the NATO Parliamentary Assembly since 2010. He is also a member of the German-Russian Friendship Group set up by the Bundesrat and the Russian Federation Council.
In the negotiations to form a Grand Coalition of the Christian Democrats (CDU together with the Bavarian CSU) and the Social Democrats (SPD) following the 2013 federal elections, Caffier was part of the CDU/CSU delegation in the working group on internal and legal affairs, led by Hans-Peter Friedrich and Thomas Oppermann.
- 2011 FIFA Women's World Cup, Member of the Board of Trustees
- German Forum for Crime Prevention (DFK), Member of the Board of Trustees
- Achterkerke Stiftung für Kinder, Member of the Board of Trustees
In 2012, Caffier caused controversy when he proposed that football fans might have to pass through "face scanners" at stadiums, comparing visitors' biometric data to a database of known football rioters.
In an effort to respond to growing security fears among the public during the European migrant crisis in 2016, Caffier called for a partial ban on the burqa and niqab garments, arguing that the full body veil is a barrier to integration, encourages parallel societies and suggests women are inferior.
- WM-Kuratorium unter Vorsitz von Dr. Thomas Bach FIFA, press release of 30 September 2008.
- Board of Trustees German Forum for Crime Prevention (DFK).
- Alice Baghdjian (February 3, 2012), German soccer fans angered by face-scan plan Reuters.
- Renuka Rayasam (February 18, 2016), Could Germany’s attempt to ban neo-Nazis backfire? Reuters.
- Caroline Copley and Michelle Martin (August 19, 2016), German conservatives call for partial ban on face veil Reuters.
- "über mich:". lorenz-caffier.de. Retrieved 22 September 2011.